ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

finding an old password program ...

(1/5) > >>

barney:
Folk,
I'm trying to find a password program L used to have.  Of course, the name eludes me.  I've used it so long,it just became, "the password thingy."

Between hurricane Harvey, a house fire, and a recent theft from my place, I've lost all capability to replace it,unless I can find it online again. 

Reason I want it is because of the way it worked.  Enter text in a field, click,and it generates the same password, based upon that text,  every time.  As a result, I could enter text relevant to a aite and get my password to it w/o having to record the password anywhere.  Ran resident, so I always had quick access to it. 

It's several years old, so may not be available still, but I would dearly like to find it again.  Any help appreciated.

Dormouse:
Hash programs do that. Is it possible it simply hashed the text?

barney:
-Dormouse (May 01, 2018, 07:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Don't Think so, but I have been known to be wrong a time or three.  :o

Deozaan:
I know something like that has been discussed on this site before. I just can't seem to remember where.

I did find this: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29712.msg276252#msg276252

But that thread is really old and I'm pretty sure I remember having a conversation about it more recently than that. I'd guess you might have better luck in one of the LastPass (breach/vulnerability) threads.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

ChecHash programs do that. Is it possible it simply hashed the text?
--- End quote ---
Don't Think so, but I have been known to be wrong a time or three.  :o
-barney (May 01, 2018, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Check at https://www.md5hashgenerator.com/ with a phrase that you know you used.  If it matches the 'password' then that might be what it's doing.  Of course, that's only MD5, so it might not match and that still be what it was doing.

* wraith808 shrugs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version