ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's going on with Java?

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
Excuse my ignorance but is Java used that much any more?
-Carol Haynes (April 30, 2018, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you consider the Minecraft player-base alone, that's a lot of people who use Java. :D

And don't forget about Android developers.
-Deozaan (April 30, 2018, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah accounts for a lot with Android!!! Didn't realise that it was wrtting largely in Java.

f0dder:
Excuse my ignorance but is Java used that much any more? I have advised everyone I know that uses OpenOffice to move to LibreOffice and remove Java from their system.-Carol Haynes (April 30, 2018, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, I thought LibreOffice was developed in Java - certainly runs sluggishly enough that it could be using one of those crappy GUI toolkits.

But there's more megabytes of *.py than *.jar in the version 6.0 I've currently got installed.

What's it written in these days? Natively-compiled Java, C++, ...?

Also, Java is still used a lot on the server side. Both the language itself, but also all the other languages running on top of the JVM, like Clojure, Scala, Kotlin...

f0dder:
So, about the Java issue...

It's a bit chilling. But it's nothing new, whOracle has always restricted access to older versions of their software to paid subscribers.

It's a shitty move for Java, though, since older software still used by people might not always work with the newest versions. That happened a lot for JRE6, and we're going to see it with JRE8 again, because (among other things) of the module system changes introduced with JRE9.

There's some other musings in Oracle to charge for Java from Jan 2019 - I believe the title is a bit alarmist, unless I've misunderstood something you can still run stuff on JRE8 for free... it's just that you won't be able to download it without having commercial support. Unless I've misunderstood something, which is quite possible, because whOracle are evil.

cyberdiva:
Pimlico Software's Pimlical Calendar and information manager (the successor to the DateBk program for Palm) uses Java. I have it on my Windows computer and on my Android tablet and phone. It's probably the only thing for which I use Java. However, I love it, so I'd hate to see anything that might cause it problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version