ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's going on with Java?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
Isn't this all just saying that Java 8 is reaching end of life and that we need to be upgrading to Java 9 and 10?

wraith808:
Isn't this all just saying that Java 8 is reaching end of life and that we need to be upgrading to Java 9 and 10?
-Deozaan (April 28, 2018, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

It could be... I see that there is a Java 9 SE and a Java 10 SE.  But I took it to mean that oracle would only distribute Java SE with the SDK for developers to distribute from the roadmap they quoted, instead of a centralized installation on the OS, i.e. the developers have to distribute a version with their software.  Sort of like what Shades is saying that he already does.

Shades:
To be more specific: copied the complete 'jre' folder (without any adjustments) into the root folder of the Java software. Most of the Java applications I have been trying were database clients.

[rant time]
And that is mainly because of the company DataStax who used to make a GUI application for their Cassandra database product (NoSQL). Cassandra is a welcome addition, because it can store big amounts of data very fast on even (relatively) low-end hardware. Faster than Oracle and SQL Server can manage. Differences between retrieval of data between Oracle, SQL Server and Cassandra are very small on the same hardware.

Anyway, Windows support for their GUI to create/execute queries on modern versions of the Cassandra database software has been dropped without warning. Just for those that are in need of a solution to this crappy treatment of Datastax, The Visual Studio Code editor has a pretty good extension for connecting and creating/executing queries on Cassandra databases. Both can be obtained and used freely. Unfortunately, I had to wade through a lot of solutions that wouldn't work with the latest Cassandra, weren't maintained anymore or actively block access before forking over between 200 USD to 500 USD per license, before I found out that VSCode was able to do this as well.

Not even Oracle is that stingy with their Oracle database client software. And as a company you should really be ashamed about that, because the sales-pitch from Oracle consists of the term "or else....." and the gesture of slitting your throat!).
[/rant time]

Carol Haynes:
Excuse my ignorance but is Java used that much any more? I have advised everyone I know that uses OpenOffice to move to LibreOffice and remove Java from their system.

Open Office is the only common software I have come across in recent years that needs Java.

It used to be ubiquitous in devices but seems to have been superceded these days.

Given the track record of security issues with Jave lots of installs from different vendors seems like a terrible idea - I can't imagine vendors will be keen on issueing upodates to their software every time Oracle patches another hole.

Or am I missing the point?

Deozaan:
Excuse my ignorance but is Java used that much any more?
-Carol Haynes (April 30, 2018, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you consider the Minecraft player-base alone, that's a lot of people who use Java. :D

And don't forget about Android developers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version