ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Programming Language Question

<< < (3/3)

p3lb0x:
As Mouser said, there's a lot of things you have to consider before picking a starting language.

I'd recommend C#, it has very clean syntax, you can do a lot of things fast, has great documentation (with regards to the .net framework, for the most part anyway), great guides on how to tackle common tasks and it does all this decently quickly. However, you're pretty much tied to windows since most of the .net framework isn't crossplatform. Otherwise I'd look at some of the prominent scripting languages like Python. While Python definitely has its own quirks and problems, there are a shitton of UI frameworks (Something that definitely speeds up the presentation side of things) out there and libraries to take advantage of.

nkormanik:
Some above have said, "Pick the best language for a particular job."

Well, let's assume one instead decides to start studying C#, the current top-ranked programming language in the world.

Can C# be used in place of AutoHotkey to make more or less the same programs that Skwire puts out?

What limitations does C# have, that will frustrate a new programmer?

(assume Windows environment)

p3lb0x:
Unfortunately I am not well versed enough in AutoHotkey to give you a good answer, but from what I've seen... probably? But it would take a lot more code to accomplish what AutoHotkey can accomplish with a page of script using C#. From what I gather AutoHotkey has a pretty narrow scope (Feel free to correct me here, AutoHotkey gods) of what it sets out to accomplish, and does this extremely well. That scope entailing automation of tasks and small simple UIs to facilitate this, an example being renaming files or doing specific tasks at different times. Whereas C# is designed to be a fairly high level multi paradigm language that you can use for pretty much anything.

anandcoral:
Unfortunately I am not well versed enough in AutoHotkey to give you a good answer, but from what I've seen... probably? But it would take a lot more code to accomplish what AutoHotkey can accomplish with a page of script using C#. From what I gather AutoHotkey has a pretty narrow scope (Feel free to correct me here, AutoHotkey gods) of what it sets out to accomplish, and does this extremely well. That scope entailing automation of tasks and small simple UIs to facilitate this, an example being renaming files or doing specific tasks at different times. Whereas C# is designed to be a fairly high level multi paradigm language that you can use for pretty much anything.
-p3lb0x (April 27, 2018, 12:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree fully.

I develop nearly all my apps for DC NANY in Autohotkey. I even use AutoIt3 for some of my required apps, not released for public. My main language is Xbase++ to develop all my accounting and inventory related apps for my clients. I further use Harbour, HMG MiniGUI, Delphi, Js etc. to accomplish some small but required function in small apps.

In short, you need different pans in your kitchen, to cook your required meal. Start by making sandwich and tea for yourself. You will need fewer pans. Slowly you will learn to cook full meal.

Regards,

Anand

wraith808:
Agree with both answers above. Hammers and Screwdrivers and such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version