ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OpenSCAD is a game changer for 3d printing

<< < (2/2)

Nod5:
Brainstorm: Any chance you can reinforce the print? Maybe a flat round metal washer with a centre hole a bit smaller than the D shaped hole. Use a metal file to enlarge the hole to exactly match the D hole. Then edit the CAD to embed the washer in the middle of the gear print.

mouser:
something like that could work.. another option would be to find a small flat metal piece, and modify the 3d gear print to have an indentation where i could lay it in to be the bottom of the D bore -- since thats the place thats getting worn down.

With the new gear I also printed it a bit smaller/tighter fit so I had to hammer on the piece to the spoke -- and then baked it with it on the metal spoke, hopefully shrinking it even further to fit the D shape spoke.  I'm hoping that will help.

I have had to do 4 corrective solders of the very thin motor wires from taking this whole thing apart so many times.. At some point I am going to have to give up the battle but it's a bit like avoiding covid-19 at this point -- I feel like it's a game and to give up would be to admit defeat...

wraith808:
something like that could work.. another option would be to find a small flat metal piece, and modify the 3d gear print to have an indentation where i could lay it in to be the bottom of the D bore -- since thats the place thats getting worn down.
-mouser (June 16, 2020, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was the approach that I was thinking of.

Target:
change the design of the gear such that instead of printing the 'D' shape it has a keyway instead.  That way you can insert/replace a piece of square (?) wire or rod to form the flat in the centre (FWIW keystock comes in standard sizes and should be readily available)

mouser:
Here's a video talking about a similar thing:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version