ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IDEA: Need an .MPCPL file editor

<< < (3/6) > >>

4wd:
Oh, and with regard to the M3U files, if you try to save a playlist in MPC, it will save in the M3U format, but if any of the Media files in the list had Subtitle files, I'll have lost track of them in the M3U and PLS formats.-fdwojo (March 31, 2018, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really a problem as I see it, the subtitle file will have the same name as the media file, thus it will be listed next to it on the directory and MPC will auto-load it if it's the same name so a separate entry in a playlist isn't necessary.

Only time I can see the subtitle file having a different name is if you have multiple subtitle streams for the one media file. But I still don't consider that a problem since I mux all subtitle files into MP4/MKV containers and just select which I want from the subtitle menu, the less unnecessary files in a directory the better.

And also, if I wanted to relabel a media file in the playlist to be more informative, that option is out, too.
--- End quote ---

I guess but since my media files are named informatively to start with or are grouped within directories due to relevance, that's not a problem I've run into.

BTW, that's also supported under M3U via the #EXTINF: line.

MPC will also use metadata, (ID3), info if available, all my audio files have it, (MP3, OGG, M4A, FLAC, etc) and also can be added to MP4, MKV, OGV, etc video ... it also means that it travels with the media file rather than relying on a text file.

If you are curious, and if you haven't done it yet, pick out an MPCPL file of yours that has a lot of media items in it and open it in Notepad or whatever text editor you like.
--- End quote ---

I don't use MPCPL, I use M3U because they're universally supported across all my devices: tablets, phones, media players, computers.

I only asked what was wrong with using an M3U playlist as an alternative.

fdwojo:
So is this #EXTINF line a separate line from the actual Media file line?

And as for my using MPCPL as opposed to M3U, I just never had used any programs that had M3U as a default format. In fact (if you'll excuse my ignorance), until you mentioned it, I didn't even know that MPC supported it. As for the Subtitle files, they don't always match the filename. But then, with MPC, it first looks in the media file folder to see if there's a valid Subtitle file there, and if not, it looks for one in a SUBS folder, and if it's there, it uses that, no matter what the name. I guess I'll have to go thru all my subtitle files and have a bit of renaming to do!   :P

Thanks very much for that idea of using M3U, tho. For that reason, I will consider this topic to be DONE and closed.

fdwojo

P.S. I don't know if it's supposed to be me that changes the Topic title to
        "DONE: Need an .MPCPL file editor"
or if someone else does that. If it's me, could someone tell me where/how it's done? I didn't see any kind of link anywhere that would allow me, the original poster, to change it. Sorry if I'm stupid and missing something obvious.

4wd:
So is this #EXTINF line a separate line from the actual Media file line?-fdwojo (April 01, 2018, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes

--- Code: Text ---#EXTM3U#EXTINF:285,A songZ:\Misc Music & Videos\Andain - You Once Told Me (Unofficial video).mp3#EXTINF:220,A videoZ:\Misc Music & Videos\Black Jonas Point - Lo Que Quieras.mp4
Description

Much better though is to use the files metadata then the #EXTINF line isn't required making the M3U just a list of files which is a lot easier to handle.

As for the Subtitle files, they don't always match the filename. But then, with MPC, it first looks in the media file folder to see if there's a valid Subtitle file there, and if not, it looks for one in a SUBS folder, and if it's there, it uses that, no matter what the name. I guess I'll have to go thru all my subtitle files and have a bit of renaming to do!   :P
--- End quote ---

You can mux the srt into a MP4 video container with a simple ffmpeg command:

--- Code: Text ---ffmpeg -i example.avi -i example.srt -c copy -c:s mov_text example.mp4
Or if you prefer Matroska files you can use MKVToolnix.

Personally prefer MP4 as it's more widely accepted by devices plus any metadata can be added via the normal Windows Properties dialog or any other metadata editor.

wraith808:
So is this #EXTINF line a separate line from the actual Media file line?

And as for my using MPCPL as opposed to M3U, I just never had used any programs that had M3U as a default format. In fact (if you'll excuse my ignorance), until you mentioned it, I didn't even know that MPC supported it. As for the Subtitle files, they don't always match the filename. But then, with MPC, it first looks in the media file folder to see if there's a valid Subtitle file there, and if not, it looks for one in a SUBS folder, and if it's there, it uses that, no matter what the name. I guess I'll have to go thru all my subtitle files and have a bit of renaming to do!   :P

Thanks very much for that idea of using M3U, tho. For that reason, I will consider this topic to be DONE and closed.

fdwojo

or if someone else does that. If it's me, could someone tell me where/how it's done? I didn't see any kind of link anywhere that would allow me, the original poster, to change it. Sorry if I'm stupid and missing something obvious.
-fdwojo (April 01, 2018, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, someone else does it.  So you don't need the editor?  I was paused in any case, as 4wd seemed to be trying to show you an implementation that would work out of the box, and his questions seemed to make sense to me.  Just wanted to verify.

skwire:
Does anyone have any ideas for an editor like this?-fdwojo (March 31, 2018, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm working on it and should have a basic version ready to go later today.

or if someone else does that.-fdwojo (April 01, 2018, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I take care of that.  Did you want me to change it and call it a day or did you want me to continue working on the application I mentioned above?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version