ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thread on 3d Printing Cody Model

<< < (10/21) > >>

mouser:
aryq, the coin came out great!

It's HUGE.  and I think probably twice as thick as it needs to be -- at least if its going to be printed at this size.  I might scale it down from 3 inches to 2 and try printing it again.  The bottom actually came out nice this time.

The only thing that is not great is the font kerning and alignment -- as you suspected.    It's a bit wonky, though if there was no fix, we could live with it.

Thank you so much.  Can't wait to see what it looks like painted up.

Since cody takes up most of the center of the coin -- we might just put a smaller round pedestal there.

The side numbers printed fantastically..  Makes me think we should either come up with some custom text for that OR at least make the binary code MEAN something..

ayryq:
OK, this one is thinner (5mm) but just as large, has a gear-looking thing for the pedestal, and has a chunkier, simpler cody on the bottom. I switched the font but no matter what I do that "e" in "coder" is high. Since that text won't change maybe I'll make it in Inkscape and bring it over as a dxf. It's also not manifold, and I don't know why, but it sliced fine as far as I can tell.

http://ericandchar.com/dc/codycoin02.stl

mouser:
Since that text won't change maybe I'll make it in Inkscape and bring it over as a dxf
--- End quote ---
It's far more important that I be able to change the text easily (in openscad) than it is for the text to be laid out perfectly, so given the choice let's live with the text kerning weirdness.

I will print this one out as soon as my 66% sized current one finishes.

KynloStephen66515:
I need a cody coin in my life...

mouser:
Aryq,

For testing purposes it might be good to get rid of that bottom cody pattern -- my printer has a hard time printing it reliably and tends to get tangled there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version