ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need help translating old German documents

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
Here's document #2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1khgvtcm8776j0r/Zwahlen%201831.png?dl=0

I think the top part says something about Rudolf B. Zwahlen being baptized on 2 May(?) 1813 in St. Saphorin, which makes it look like a certificate of baptism. But there are a few other names near the top that I can't read (I do recognize Dupuis, which is his mother's maiden name). And also, the document is dated 1831, which is a long time after his baptism, so I'm not sure exactly what this document is about or what it's saying. I tried typing it into Google Translate but there are too many words/letters that I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, and when I try the other possible interpretations, it seems to completely change the meaning of the sentence(s). I see what appears to be the word "Copulation" near the center of the paragraph, but I'm unable to understand the surrounding words well enough for Google Translate to be of much use.

So anyway, any help would be appreciated.

tomos:
^ here a version where the bits of the page are lined up better:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jimfb4bqrtozgbc/Zwahlen%201831_preview2.png?dl=0

It's a letter / certificate from the parish (or State: see last para below):
a bit of a mix between a letter of introduction and recommendation; it confirms baptism (no d.o.b. given); confirms citizenship (more below); and asks for good treatment of the subject. It also says they will always take him back (they use the word Aufnahme), which I guess, was a positive if he was emigrating somewhere, and they weren't sure whether to allow him in or not.

At the beginning it gives:
the name (see other document: the son born 1813)
the parents names (again as per other doc)

Of particular interest:
in the last paragraph, they call him a citizen of Bern Canton, and 'since ten years' a citizen of Switzerland --
I see wikipedia says "Switzerland has existed as a state in its present form since the adoption of the Swiss Federal Constitution in 1848". That could be a reason for him only being a Swiss citizen for ten years at that stage (aged ~18).

What confuses me a little is the mix of religion (parish / baptism) and state (citizenship).
It is signed by the 'Staats-schreiber'. This translates literally to the State-writer -- must have been some official position, seems to have been a government official as opposed to a church one.
I guess in those days religion and State were much more mixed. Dont know about Switzerland today, but they still are mixed in Germany -- if you say you are a member of one of the main Christian churches when registering (which you have to do when living here or on moving) the state collects a tax from your wage which goes to that church.

Deozaan:
Yes, by the sounds of it, it appears it was some form of documentation used for emigration.

Thanks again, so much!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version