ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Booting Linux from USB thumbdrive - Linux Explorer

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:

A few questions: If you do not use and have no use for Linux, why do you have a USB device that must be formatted for a Linux file system? 
-Edvard (March 17, 2018, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that was answered in the original post...

Also I do not wish to use Linux, but  -have- to use it for 1 specific task only.
-dcwul62 (March 17, 2018, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

He didn't go into what it was for, but I figured that was all the specification needed...

4wd:
Considering the OP wanted to delete the contents, (implying all the contents), I would have thought any one of the partition management programs available and just quick format in EXT3, eg. AOMEI, EASUS, MiniTool, EASSOS, etc.

Free with no time limits.

dcwul62:
Thank you all for the feedback!
All your comments and/or recommendations are truly appreciated.

As Paragon: I know about its 10 days limitation.
What I did is the following: I installed it within VMware Workstation, used it there and after that I restored the VMware  snapshot that I made just before installing Paragon.

So, basically I can do this the next time. As said, I may be using the tool, maybe just a few times a year, to free up space on the HDD so I can copy new data from the TV setup box, in the living room. Copying data from the tv setup box to the usb drive box is terribly slow. A couple of days ago I copied 103GB - it took 7-8 hours. I believe there is no way to delete files whilst using the tv setup box.

I have looked at
1) Paragon Harddisk Management (v16), have a license on that, but it has no 'file management' option, meaning no such thing as delete files.
2)  Minitool Partition Wizard as well. but same as HDM above, it can do almost everything, except file handling - both tools are not designed for that of course
3)  "LinuxLive USB Creator" and booted whilst using "Linux Mint" booting from USB.
Regretfully 'File delete' was greyed out because I had no admin rights. Could not change anything with regards to the rights.
The administrator was 'Root' or something
4) "LinuxLive USB Creator" and booted whilst using "Ubuntu" booting from USB. A lot of text flashing by, Ubuntu logo, again text, hang. Nothing happened (I selected 'Try Ubuntu' rather than install ubuntu)
5) I also checked out ext2fsd - did not install it - hesitated about that one - I initially wanted something to run from USB or to run from within VM - I did and do not want to install stuff into my 'host pc', which could mess up things.
6) Yamb-1.6 : launched it - but nothing happened - leaving me puzzled what to do now

Bottom line: the Paragon thing worked immediately and is user friendly.

As said earlier, this handy tool, deserves to get more attention.

Undoubtedly there will be other tools around, but I gave up spending more time on it.
(Also looked at Linux under Windows, available as from 1709, and one or two other tools (payware) but all are either too complex for just an occasional use or one has to pay right from the start)

Anyway, thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version