ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[Breaking News] Prof. Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Damn...

panzer:
Take a look at these pictures:
http://milesmathis.com/hawk3.pdf

anandcoral:
Just saw the headlines "Stephen Hawking considered Artificial Intelligence as threat to humanity" in news but did not read it. Now I read that he has shut down. So was that his last words ?

We are rushing towards AI to easy our daily work pressure. May be we should stop and ponder.

Regards,

Anand

Carol Haynes:
Very sad day - I read his 1966 paper on Black Holes, his first big prize winner, when I was an undergraduate in the 70s and contemplating doing a PhD in Cosmology.

Ironically I lived in Cambridge the year before I read his paper and saw him most days - sadly I never had the courage to go and say hello.

Going to be hugely missed - not only for his science but his humour and humanity.

Here are a couple of favourite things:

Big Bang Theory clip:

This piece was written by a friend of mine, Cheryl Frances-Hoad, a British composer who's star is definitely on the rise - one of her works was performed at the Proms last year. This piece was written as a commission for Stephen Hawking's 75th birthday. It was first performed for him at his birthday celebration in Gonville and Caius College Cambridge. Cheryl was so happy to have the chance to meet him. She was also a student at the college.

Stoic Joker:
We are rushing towards AI to easy our daily work pressure. May be we should stop and ponder
-anandcoral (March 14, 2018, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed ...(I'm totally with you and Steve)... Instead of continuously trying to find more and better ways of pushing the multitasking/information overload envelope, people really should just slow down a bit and breath. Otherwise we're just going to end up being a society full of heavily medicated 30 something burnouts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version