ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I hate False Positives and need help correcting one

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
It's nice that these security programs are trying to protect us, but it's absolutely unacceptable for these programs not to be designed with the assumption that they are going to make false positive mistakes.  They should make it super easy to undo any action they might take.  Any program that doesn't do that is not ready for public use.

Stoic Joker:
It's nice that these security programs are trying to protect us, but it's absolutely unacceptable for these programs not to be designed with the assumption that they are going to make false positive mistakes.  They should make it super easy to undo any action they might take.  Any program that doesn't do that is not ready for public use.
-mouser (March 08, 2018, 12:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, especially if they're going to break basic system recovery functions in the process ... Forcing you to call them to get your files back. That's just having you files hijacked by a different entity...not protecting them.

Any administrative account on the system should be able to take ownership of a file.

wraith808:
Didn't work  That screen grab was from an admin aacount. And it always gave me some error related to the fact that there was no owner, than an access denied. I tried takeown, accesschk, takeown as the system user, icacls, some tool that I downloaded and forget the name of- in other words I did all of the obvious things.

Thinking on it from tge perspective of a developer, what is the one thing you can do to always give an access is denied message- put a lock on a file.  Then no one can change the file unless you remove the locks, and I didn't think to check that.

Stoic Joker:
Didn't work  That screen grab was from an admin account. -wraith808 (March 08, 2018, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, they actually look pretty normal for a - that type of - permissions issue. but the change owner link should have let you (as an admin) set it to whatever you wanted/needed.

Thinking on it from tge perspective of a developer, what is the one thing you can do to always give an access is denied message- put a lock on a file.  Then no one can change the file unless you remove the locks, and I didn't think to check that. -wraith808 (March 08, 2018, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed ... And along the lines of what I was referring to as a hijack in the last post.

We really are getting into an era where the cure is worse that the disease more often than not.

wraith808:
We really are getting into an era where the cure is worse that the disease more often than not.
-Stoic Joker (March 08, 2018, 11:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think we're there for ransomware.  Which is the reason I keep running it.  I don't really think I need it.  But my server got hit with it (through an RDP exploit) last year, and that experience is making me leery...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version