ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I hate False Positives and need help correcting one

<< < (3/3)

Deozaan:
I think the solution for ransomware is to just make regular backups of everything that's important. If you get hit by some ransomeware, just format everything and restore from backup.

There are so many free (or inexpensive) cloud services available that the only real excuse (for the average person) for not having good backups is ignorance (e.g., not knowing how, or not understanding the risks) or apathy (e.g., laziness, understanding the risks but not caring or not thinking they're probable).

As for me, I fit in the laziness category. :D

mouser:
I think the solution for ransomware is to just make regular backups of everything that's important. If you get hit by some ransomware, just format everything and restore from backup.
--- End quote ---

Bingo.
In my view this is the proper solution to almost any security breach. Trying to "repair" the damage is an uphill battle.  Better to just restore from a known good state.

wraith808:
I think the solution for ransomware is to just make regular backups of everything that's important. If you get hit by some ransomeware, just format everything and restore from backup.

There are so many free (or inexpensive) cloud services available that the only real excuse (for the average person) for not having good backups is ignorance (e.g., not knowing how, or not understanding the risks) or apathy (e.g., laziness, understanding the risks but not caring or not thinking they're probable).

As for me, I fit in the laziness category. :D
-Deozaan (March 11, 2018, 11:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Free services?  I haven't made images and just back up my critical files (documents, code) because of the fact that I've not found one that I (a) trust to be around (b) that's reasonable.  Doing it on my own servers is a lot more work and cost because of the need for more infrastructure at home. 

That's the reason I run anti-ransomware.  I wouldn't be crippled by it long term and wouldn't lose critical files, but it would be a pain to get up and running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version