ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scanned photos from Picasa to google Photo: experiences

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
Then using Lintalist's script, I renamed (numbered) the files based on their new sequence.
-tomos (March 07, 2018, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

the problem with numbering sequentially is if you want to add new images to the collection - i.e. it's not extensible.
I havent really thought about any solutions for this...

Nod5:
I was dealing with images that went back as far as the 1880's, most though were 1950 to 1980. So a lot of it was guess-work i.e. no definite date for majority of the images.
Then using Lintalist's script, I renamed (numbered) the files based on their new sequence.
--- End quote ---

Ok, what I meant more specifically is that if the filenames have some consistent date strings, for example "20161001183503.jpg", "2016-10-01.jpg" or "161001 tag tag.jpg" or some such then it would be easy to with a script copy those date strings to each file's EXIF.

I use the YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format for all photos because then you see the date directly in the filename and the files are automatically sorted by date when you sort them by filename. You can always put descriptive tags at the end of the filename to make it easy to find them when searching.

For scans of very old photos where the date is not exactly known one can make a rough estimate and pad with "01" patterns as a reminder that the date isn't exactly known. For example a photo from sometime in the 1950s could be named "19500101010101.jpg".

tomos:
Ok, what I meant more specifically is that if the filenames have some consistent date strings, for example "20161001183503.jpg", "2016-10-01.jpg" or "161001 tag tag.jpg" or some such then it would be easy to with a script copy those date strings to each file's EXIF.
-Nod5 (March 07, 2018, 01:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, I got that -
I also didnt like the idea of having to add the (estimated) date string to each file name. Possibly a better solution in the long run, but is going to take a lot of time for 1500 photos.
I'm considering it though, mainly because it will make the naming system more extensible.

EDIT// I was starting to add date tags, e.g. 1953-09-00 for Sept '53 -- but I gave up fairly quickly (it's just mind-numbing doing that again and again...)

tomos:
recovering info added in the info panel in google photo (i.e. info added online: this is not synced back to Picasa)
-tomos (March 07, 2018, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
"how to" answered in Reply #1 above
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=45147.msg417413#msg417413

jity2:
BTW, one good website that may be useful to you for Picasa and Google Photo is : https://sites.google.com/site/picasaresources/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version