topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: StackNotes  (Read 10974 times)

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
StackNotes
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:30 AM »
Hi there, fellow coders !

I'm Yan, developer of "StackNotes".
It's a tiny, fast and reliable notebook for Windows.
Programming language is iBasic pro, entirely built upon system API and common controls.
The program is released under the BSD license and comes with the sources, project file and resources.
Still actively developed and maintained.
Hosted at SourceForge.
Current version is 1.0.4.6 as of september 2018.

2018-0~1.gifStackNotes2018-0~2.gifStackNotes

Project page at SourceForge
StackNotes Homepage

Feedback, comments and bug reports are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:52 PM by YannickDa, Reason: update »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: StackNotes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40 AM »
Welcome to the site Yannick!  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01 PM »
@YannickDa: Thanks for introducing yourself and StackNotes. I don't think I had come across StackNotes before - though the name sounded familiar, I didn't recollect it and couldn't find any notes I made about it, anyway.

Today I read up about and then downloaded StackNotes v1.043 via the website links you gave.
I was not too impressed until I discovered from the Help file that it has some very interesting/useful and synergistic plugins:
  • Encryption / Decryption - StackNotes now supports the highly secured AES encryption algorythm through the use of a third-party command-line program called "AESCrypt". You can now easily secure your padfiles and take 'em everywhere with you (e.g. USB stick) without the risk of beeing robbed of sensitive information. Just be sure to not forget any password you use to encrypt your documents because there is no mean to recover an encrypted file without the corresponding password. You've been warned. Also, take the time to visit the "AESCrypt" homepage to learn more on this open source project. Last word : if you work with very sensitive information, consider the fact to use dedicated software to wipe the free space on your drive to prevent file recovery.
  • Screen Loupe - a screen magnifyer.
  • Recorder -  allows you to record the output from your sound card to a WAV file, then convert it to the MP3 format using the "LAME" command line tool (freeware).
  • Snapshot - allows you to capture your desktop, a program's window or a control inside a window to a bitmap (BMP file format).
  • Password Generator - produces base64 passwords.
  • Contacts - a basic contacts manager.

The [open source] AESCrypt and the other plugins make StackNotes a potentially very useful toolset, and so I am trialling it in earnest now.
Thanks again.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Hi there, fellow coders !

I'm Yan, developer of "StackNotes".
It's a tiny, fast and reliable notebook for Windows.
Programming language is iBasic pro, entirely built upon system API and common controls

Hi Yan
Handy little program   The only problem I find I cannot directly paste from my clipboard program (I have tried two programs). You have to do a ctrl-v.  or right click-paste to enter data.
Other than that it seems quite handy and quick .
nogojoe

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Thank you all ! I'm an average programmer at best, learning things the hard way (mostly by trial and error). There's still a lot to do for "StackNotes" to be considered "bug free" and you may encounter some unexpected crashes with the program because i have to double-check the GDI code i'm using for the ownerdrawn menus. So, it's "almost reliable". I plan to add a "mail" plugin (either to send a note or a complete padfile) using BLAT CLI; i have the prototype for this, i just need to adapt the code. I still have to write the long expected "Reminder" plugin from scratch. I'm also thinking about adding an "FTP upload" feature and to rewrite the "Recorder" plugin because it doesn't work under windows 10 (but does under windows XP).
The only problem I find I cannot directly paste from my clipboard program
This is not implemented but i can add that feature; hotkey to "paste to a new note" or "append to the currently selected one". I'll dig this...
So, still a lot of work to do.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I plan to add a "mail" plugin (either to send a note or a complete padfile) using BLAT CLI; i have the prototype for this, i just need to adapt the code.

Just as a side note: I have always encountered issues when trying to use BLAT within a CLI environment. Then I found an alternative in CMail. This worked beautifully from the get-go. If you can get Blat to work for you, good. But if not, you don't have to spend a lot of time looking for a more than excellent alternative. 

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 06:15 AM »
@Shades : "BLAT cli" can be a little bit confusing at first, some switches uses are "cryptic" and building a valid command line can be tedious. So, i went through the whole process step by step and had success in the end. I suspect this might have been done on purpose by the developers to avoid "Blat" beeing used by lame spammers. But i can't be sure of that.
I took a look at "CMail" : seems robust and has a lot of options too. I'm going to use "BLAT" and may add an option to use "CMail" later on...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:19 AM »
@Shades : "BLAT cli" can be a little bit confusing at first, some switches uses are "cryptic" and building a valid command line can be tedious. So, i went through the whole process step by step and had success in the end. I suspect this might have been done on purpose by the developers to avoid "Blat" beeing used by lame spammers. But i can't be sure of that.
I took a look at "CMail" : seems robust and has a lot of options too. I'm going to use "BLAT" and may add an option to use "CMail" later on...

We used to use it at work, and had similar issues with BLAT, and someone at the company even made an option to use a BLAT DLL.  It seems that was adopted by the community, and they offer a way to directly use BLAT that I think was his code- not sure if it's really there as I was going by his word.  I do have a link to the latest version of his DLL if interested that he sent me when I was trying to track it down.  The reason that we moved away from it is .NET has a direct option to mail.  If the archive doesn't have it, let me know if you're interested.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:28 AM by wraith808 »

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 08:48 AM »
There was a small update for StackNotes; version is now 1.0.44.

What's new : + Added a Toolbar, capacity to manage MRU files and squashed some ugly bugs.
I'm actually working on the "Send E-mail" function, next will be multiple system-wide  hotkeys implementation,
Then "FTP upload", and finally "Reminder"...