ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Renaming query: how to keep e.g. 1a, 1b when renumbering

(1/4) > >>

tomos:
Files (photos) are named numerically, but some are with 'a' & 'b' appended to indicate front & back of same photo.
I want to renumber them sequentially, but again the 'a's and 'b's  use the (new) number twice.

e.g. currently:

0822.jpg
0822a.jpg
0823.jpg

* All files have leading zeros i.e. four digits in the number.
* Occasionally files have text after the number, this always following an underscore e.g.
1234_text_added_here
=> there should be no spaces (I can ensure this if necessary by first replacing space with underscore)

As said I want to renumber them sequentially, but again the 'a's and 'b's use the same (new) number e.g. the above list would become

0001a

I would also like to be able to indicate the starting number to use.

I am using directory opus which allows regex (of which I know absolutely nothing).
Dopus's wildcard rename allows sequential renumbering, but I lose the 1a 1b (they would simply become 1a, 2b, etc.
[edit] I dont think dopus wildcard rename can cope with stripping the number & adding a new one -- I would use a different renamer, but I have sorted the files manually in Dopus -- so I'm left with the regex option or one of the scripts mentioned in next post -- at this stage I dont care about losing the 1, 1a, -- simple sequential renumbering would be fine [/edit]

TIA,

tomos:
I see dopus also does Scripts:

* VBA script
* JScript

and the regular rename dialogue

rgdot:
Dont have it currently to test but something like Bulk Rename Utility could be set to ignore/not touch after X positions, so after 4 in your case. Not sure if logic would work but it might.

tomos:
Dont have it currently to test but something like Bulk Rename Utility could be set to ignore/not touch after X positions, so after 4 in your case. Not sure if logic would work but it might.
-rgdot (January 30, 2018, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can do that as well with dopus Wildcard rename -- but it then

AFAICS Bulk Rename doesnt recognise that
0810a

should become e.g.
0001a

but will rename them as

0002a

Lintalist:
You can try this AHK script, a quick test shows it here. It will skip files if you only have a/b.

0824.jpg ; 0001
0825a.jpg ; will be skipped
0825b.jpg ; will be skipped
0826.jpg ; 0002

First it looks for files without a or b.jpg, then copy the files and while it does that tries to see if there are any matching a/b files and if so copy again using the same number.

I'm not a fan of renaming files in script so I've setup a source/target here and it copies so you can check manually before deciding if you want to delete the source files.

--- Code: Autohotkey ---sourcefiles:=""source:=A_ScriptDir "\source\"target:=A_ScriptDir "\target\" Loop, %source%*.jpg        {         If !RegExMatch(A_LoopFileName,"i)a|b\.jpg") ; we don't to know *a.jpg and *b.jpg files now                sourcefiles .= A_LoopFileName "`n"        } Sort, sourcefiles, D`n ; sourcefiles:=trim(sourcefiles,"`n") ; MsgBox % sourcefiles Loop, parse, sourcefiles, `n, `r        {         SplitPath, A_LoopField, OutFileName, , , OutNameNoExt         counter:=SubStr("000" A_Index, -3)         FileCopy, %source%%OutFileName%, %target%%counter%.jpg         IfExist, %source%%OutNameNoExt%a.jpg                FileCopy, %source%%OutNameNoExt%a.jpg, %target%%counter%a.jpg         IfExist, %source%%OutNameNoExt%b.jpg                FileCopy, %source%%OutNameNoExt%b.jpg, %target%%counter%b.jpg         MsgBox %source%%OutNameNoExt%.jpg              }

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version