ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosed

<< < (2/3) > >>

Carol Haynes:
These are the panels that have info:

Help - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosed
Help - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosedHelp - not sure what happened but windows seems to be hosed

I have lost the plot  - what comes of messing with this to 430am  :tellme:

wraith808:
So, it looks like it's superfetch, and using at the peak 800MB, but currently almost 600 MB.  I've had problems with SuperFetch before on another system, and just disabled it.

It has an entry in the services control panel.  Just go to that entry and disable it.  It doesn't affect anything, so you can try this without worries.

More information:

https://superuser.com/questions/645650/what-is-superfetch-and-its-relation-to-svchost-exe-localsystemnetworkrestricte

cranioscopical:
Also, could it possibly be this?

Users of Malwarebytes, a popular security solution for Windows, reported on Saturday that the software's RAM usage and CPU utilization was going through the roof.

One user published a screenshot that showed the Malwarebytes Service process using more than 19 Gigabytes of RAM, and others soon chimed in and revealed that Malwarebytes used a lot of RAM and CPU on their devices as well.
--- End quote ---

It took down my machine, ate up ALL the memory, and required a restore-from-backup solution.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks I will give them a go and see what happens - I disabled superfecth and stopped MBAM loading at startup.

mouser:
Yikes!
Yeah martin at ghacks reports on the malware bytes issue: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/28/borked-malwarebytes-update-causes-high-ram-usage/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version