ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Picasa "Sunset" version - Mini-Review and anchor-point

<< < (3/5) > >>

tomos:
in Options, I have 'Store name tags in photos' selected, but I cannot actually find this info anywhere in the file (using ExifToolsGUI, which in the past has found everything for me).
-tomos (February 17, 2018, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have since found the name tags using ExifToolsGUI -- I dont know did it not initially show due to user error or maybe a delay in Picasa actually writing the info to the file. FWIW / unfortunately Photo Supreme image organiser (formerly idImager) does not show the info.

Google Picasa "Sunset" version - Mini-Review and anchor-point

tomos:
Related thread:
Scanned photos from Picasa to google Photo: experiences
re
what works and what doesnt when syncing between Picasa and google photos (in particular related to scanned images).

tomos:
Google has disabled Picasa's ability to upload / download / sync photos to google photo.

The Picasa Desktop application will no longer support uploading or downloading photos and videos, creating online albums, or deleting online photos, videos and albums (see our update in the blog post here). If you try to upload or download, you may see something like:

“Failed to download album list”
    “Error: Failed to retrieve URL for upload”
    “Error: Request failed”
    The upload manager staying at 0% progress

If you want to upload photos and videos to Google Photos, you can use Backup and Sync at photos.google.com/apps.

--- End quote ---
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/picasa/brvRowxSDcM

I hate google right now :-/
-tomos (April 06, 2018, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
They're trying to push their new products instead of supporting their legacy users.  I can see why... but it sucks.

IainB:
Just to keep this all together in this Picasa discussion thread:
@Tomos: Sorry, but I thought Google's blocking this [API] was already quite clear from the Picasa blog:
Moving on from Picasa
Friday, February 12, 2016 10:00 AM
Update March 26, 2018: The Picasa Desktop application will no longer work online, which means that you will not be able to upload or download photos and videos, create online albums, or delete online photos, videos and albums.
Desktop application
As of March 15, 2016, we will no longer be supporting the Picasa desktop application. For those who have already downloaded this—or choose to do so before this date—it will continue to work as it does today, but we will not be developing it further, and there will be no future updates. If you choose to switch to Google Photos, you can continue to upload photos and videos using the desktop uploader at photos.google.com/apps.

Finally for developers, we will also be retiring some functions of the Picasa API. Developers can learn more here.

Please note, you’ll still be able to access all of your photos and videos in Google Photos at https://photos.google.com/. If you want to upload photos and videos to Google Photos, you can use Backup and Sync at photos.google.com/apps. ...

Copied from: Picasa Blog - <http://googlephotos.blogspot.co.com/>

--- End quote ---

There's nothing to stop you from using Picasa as an image management tool/database, and shipping up the photos to Google Photos, as required. (I had thought that was what you were intending doing.)
-IainB (April 06, 2018, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

IF you create Picasa albums out of the Tags (this was an innovative experimental feature that works beautifully), Picasa places the photos in sort of "virtual folders" according to each Tag - these virtual folders are created within the Picasa database. Picasa doesn't care where these Tagged photos are physically stored on disk (in logical folders). It can always find them again. So, once you have a Tagged album, you can use Picasa to drag and drop the pix it contains, as a group, into a newly-named logical folder on disk. Picasa will keep track of which photos have been moved where. You can then use Google Photos to upload/sync that album folder to the Google Photos cloud as an album/collection, and then share it to whomever you want. After that, maintain those album folders on your hard drive, so you can remove photos, or add new photos to an album (using Picasa, as above). The additions/changes to the album will be reflected in the Google Photo sync.

The Tags are magic because they are metadata which is attached to the data (the images).
If the Picasa database crashes or gets corrupted (it can happen - though I haven't see it in the "Sunset" version yet), Picasa can rapidly rebuild/recreate the Tagged virtual albums, because the Tag will have been written as metadata to each of the the photos' IPTC info. One of the things that doesn't get written to EXIF/IPTC fields are the face IDs of the people in the photos - which data only seems to exist in the database, and which needs to be rebuilt after a crash/corruption (which takes a bit of time). But the thing is, it can all be rebuilt/recreated.

So you keep maintenance at a low state and can almost have it as easy as it was in the original Picasa approach. To achieve this, all you have to do is use the Tagged virtual albums in Picasa.
-IainB (April 06, 2018, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version