ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Photo: Query/s re related info

<< < (2/2)

Deozaan:
is there any software that will show the photo and read the info in the json file simultaneously?
-tomos (January 23, 2018, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does Picasa still sync with Google Photos?

ayryq:
-Deozaan (January 23, 2018, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a good thought (and I don't know the answer), because the description typed into Picasa does wind up stored in the photo metadata. I don't know if Google Photos uses that metadata when uploaded; what I read indicates it might not (or maybe keywords do but descriptions don't).

IainB:
Prompted by this and some other related discussions, I have just posted: Google Picasa "Sunset" version - Mini-Review and anchor-point - which has some information and links to further information regarding the last released version of Google Picasa3 ("Sunset" version, as I call it) and switching/migrating to Google Photos.

There is quite a lot that probably needs to be said regarding Picasa3's extensive use of metadata, and that already has been said elsewhere on the DC Forum, so I shall try and pull it together under the "anchor-point" Picasa3 review.
It would be helpful if members with experience/information to contribute could independently add to that discussion thread as well as this one (simply cross-posting it would probably do the trick). Thanks.

Apologies. I could have done this ages ago, but did not get a round tuit.
Hope it all helps or is of use to someone, anyway.

tomos:
Thanks for the tips people --

-Deozaan (January 23, 2018, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's a good thought (and I don't know the answer), because the description typed into Picasa does wind up stored in the photo metadata. I don't know if Google Photos uses that metadata when uploaded; what I read indicates it might not (or maybe keywords do but descriptions don't).
-ayryq (January 23, 2018, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dont know I/they want to sync with google photos, will have to see what that involves, whether it can be a limited sync etc.
Re the downloaded phot + json file:
unfortunately Picasa does not read nor find the json file.
unfortunately Picasa does not read nor find the json file.

tomos:
ExifTool might do this automatically? I haven't tested it but see the following thread:
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=8154.0

And get the executable from:
http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

To clarify: What the command-line ExifTool will do is read the description from the json file(s), and write it to the metadata attached to the picture(s). Then you'll have to find another program that lets you view them together (though this should be easy).
-ayryq (January 23, 2018, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

for the long term, this would be the ideal solution :Thmbsup:
I dont know when I'll get time to try it (up to my eyeballs at the minute, or maybe my sister might give it a go).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version