ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Star Wars Last Jedi movie discussion

(1/4) > >>

wraith808:

The Last Jedi

There's quite the controversy over this, but I think it's a backlash over the extended universe to a large extent, mixed with reasonable complaints.

I enjoyed it for the most part, while acknowledging the failures in writing and trimming of unnecessary plot points.  It's also conflated with different political movements, IMO.

SpoilerThe Finn/Rose detour to the Gambling planet, while cool, was unnecessary narratively. You cut it out, and nothing in the movie changes.  That's bad writing, IMO.  You have to be ready to kill your darlings, and that definitely applies to that whole subplot.

Deozaan:
I saw The Last Jedi yesterday.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I'd say it was pretty decent for a recent Star Wars film. It had some cool moments. It had some cheesy moments. It had a bit of slapstick.

I don't get the appeal of the furry penguin bird things. They played a minor, minor, minor part in the movie (which is a good thing, IMO). They were stupid-annoying like minions from the Despicable Me movies, but without fun(ny) bits that almost redeems minions. That said, I found them less annoying than minions, but ultimately pointless and forgettable.

I also don't know anything about the extended universe of Star Wars. I haven't read any of the books, and haven't seen any of the movies or TV shows except the 8 main "episodes" and Rogue One. And I may have caught bits of the Ewok Christmas special as a child.

In response to wraith808's "spoiler," and a bit of my own opinions/observations:
SpoilerWhile I agree that the detour to the gambling planet was mostly filler and could have been trimmed down a lot, it did set up a few things for later in the movie:

* It allowed Finn and Rose to have some shared experiences so it would (almost) make sense when she professed her love for him.
* It introduced us to the slave children which the film hinted at being the upcoming/rising generation of rebels/Jedi.
One thing I don't understand is why one person had to remain behind on each ship while the rest of the people were being evacuated. It just seemed like a needless sacrifice in an effort to try to artificially increase the feeling of dramatic suspense.

wraith808:
I don't get the appeal of the furry penguin bird things. They played a minor, minor, minor part in the movie (which is a good thing, IMO). They were stupid-annoying like minions from the Despicable Me movies, but without fun(ny) bits that almost redeems minions. That said, I found them less annoying than minions, but ultimately pointless and forgettable.
-Deozaan (January 05, 2018, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that they were the attempt at merchandising, and making the link to the money something that won't detract from the larger franchise, i.e. have something cute and appealing that the story doesn't hinge on.  Their other attempts have had too much influence on the story, IMO.  And it seems that they hit the right balance with the Porgs.

mouser:
YouTube is FILLED TO THE BRIM with people offering their criticism of the Last Jedi.  I was tired when I saw it and haven't been much of a fan of the recent star wars films.  This one was not much different. meh.
However  I am enjoying watching the you videos attacking it though, much more than I enjoyed the movie itself  :P
I have to say I agree with most of the criticisms..  But agree or not, it's fun to listen to what people felt was wrong with it.

rgdot:
Haven't seen it but for me it is a difficult concept to accept that dark side and evil exist after the way Episode VI ended. It was such a good ending and very 'final'. Disney of course is equal to commercialization so many movies will still be made ... Saw The Force Awakens whenit came out and it was just ok, not great imo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version