ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Official New DC Members Pages Thread

<< < (3/9) > >>

mouser:
Some DC Member site screenshots:

ewemoa:
Very nice :)

mouser:
Thanks, ewemoa.  Users can of course customize the site and theme, I'm just trying to go for a default really clean minimalistic, coder vibe, with all of the necessities.

Ath:
Well, I've been playing with the new WP (WordPress) site for a couple of hours now (been too busy the past weeks...), and one thing that jumps out is that creating a Page in WP is a bit tedious when using tables. The table plugin ('snippet inserter' ? ) used is quite simple, creating larger tables means you're still handcrafting a lot of html. Most likely a better plugin will be available?

An additional note: Dc member sites can be set up to have their own custom domain names.
-mouser (December 18, 2017, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Current DCMembers server provides the subdomain url [userhandle].dcmembers.com, but the current setup (only) has dcmembers.com/[userhandle] Can that be configured in some way? Or will it 'cost' an extra domain name? I don't mind both, but having the subdomain configuration would be nice, keeping url's (and typing-memory) the same :-[

For the rest of it, well, it's 'different' from what I'm used to (Confluence, WebsiteBaker, Mediawiki, Sharepoint), but as said before, I'll get used to it.

mouser:
Hi Ath. I appreciate your willingness to slog through something new.  Change is always painful.

But I do believe this is going to be a much better and long-term maintainable, and secure, solution for all dc member pages.

creating a Page in WP is a bit tedious when using tables.
--- End quote ---
I'm happy to add another table plugin -- sounds like a good idea.  I'm sure we can find a good one.
If anyone has a wordpress table plugin to recommend let me know! Free is better but I'm open to purchasing one-time pay plugins.  Security is the #1 thing I look for, though for a table plugin that shouldn't be an issue.

Current DCMembers server provides the subdomain url [userhandle].dcmembers.com, but the current setup (only) has dcmembers.com/[userhandle] Can that be configured in some way? Or will it 'cost' an extra domain name? I don't mind both, but having the subdomain configuration would be nice, keeping url's (and typing-memory) the same
--- End quote ---

I think we should be able to handle the subdomain case again, but i have to look into it.. I know that we can handle the even better scenario of using your own domain name.  The latter seems to me a better long term solution since you will have ownership of it and could point it at a different server if for some reason in the future you wanted to move.  The only downside of this is it would cost you $12/year to purchase a domain name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version