ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

save to text or print to file in chrome

(1/3) > >>

Target:
does anyone know of an xtn that might allow me to either save a web page as text (it's actually plain txt, not HTML) or print it to a (txt) file?

I routinely have to download reports from our systems at work and it appears that chrome simply doesn't have this facility.  I have IE11 too, but when I save as text it introduces a whole bunch of artifacts that are throwing my processing tools off.  Then there's FF, which does do what I need, but I'm so over FF that this is the only thing I use it for and I'd like to consolidate if I could.

anandcoral:
Hi Target,

I use FF for many extension whose alternatives I can not find in Chrome and I can not browse without those extensions.
Anyway I searched for any text file in Chrome and when I pressed Ctrl+S to save, Chrome gave option to save as text file, see image.

save to text or print to file in chrome

save a web page as text (it's actually plain txt, not HTML) or print it to a (txt) file?
-Target (December 19, 2017, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
So, if it is a txt file, it will save without ant html markup. But you may get unix coded text instead of dos due to where its server.

Regards,

Anand

IainB:
If you use @mouser's proggy CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell), then just select everything on the web page, press Ctrl+C, and  CHS saves the clip and automatically strips out anything that is not text. It's quite handy for that. I use it all the time as it is an extremely versatile clipboard management tool  with lots of other uses. It saves me heaps of time.
Best way to find out if it meets your needs is probably to suck-it-and-see (find out for yourself by trialing it).

Target:
nothings ever simple. 

The files in question are plain text BUT if they are above a certain size their packed into GZip files.  There is an option to open them in a new window, but they're packed without an extension so chrome doesn't recognise them as plain text...

And FWIW while I usually only need them a few at a time, it's not uncommon to need 50 or 100 files, which makes the copy/paste route unviable

IainB:
@Target: Ah, you seem to have added some new factors there that were apparently not mentioned in your OP.

This initially seemed to be about just scraping text off a screen in a browser, but that's apparently not quite the case.
I don't get the GZip part at all.
Could you tell us what you are wanting to do with the text a- e.g., how it is to be stored and later used?
That might help.

(User requirements.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version