ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What ya got, and how d'ya use it ...

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
Any UK based users got any recommendations for an integrated ADSL/WiFi (11g) router ?
-Carol Haynes (July 23, 2006, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
.dk based, but it's pretty damn hot and humid here, so... :)

I got my mum a Netgear FWG114p - it does ADSL routing, firewalling, access-pointing (11/54mbit) with security, print serving (unfortunately our printer isn't supported :( ), etc. It's been very reliable, never needed a reboot, and looks sexy.
-f0dder (July 23, 2006, 04:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately that doesn't actually have an ADSL modem built in.

The http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_broadband_router_dg834gt.php looks possible - shame it doesn't include the print server too.
-Carol Haynes (July 23, 2006, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
You didnt' say it had to include a modem :) (I'm used to split solutions) - it does routing and PPPoE though. Can't remember if it does PPPoA as well.

The dg834 looks exactly like the wg602 I got from a friend - and that one's an unreliable POS. WLAN is flaky, and if I turn on encryption it gets even worse. Antenna is a bit broken though, but that should just give worse signal strength, not these random connectin drops. The model you linked is probably a lot different internally though, this one's just an access point.

Carol Haynes:
Hmm - I said ADSL/Wifi router - I assumed it would be understood by the ADSL bit that I meant a modem ;) - in what sense has any router without a modem got anything to do with ADSL ?

Reviews on Amazon.co.uk are a bit varied with the dg834 model - dropped internet connects and poor WiFi connection seems common. At least with my current Linksys machine it works 99% of the time.

mouser:
God i feel like a turtle:

AMD XP2000
1gb ram
200gb hd + 160gb hd

Canon ip4000 color printer (cheapo but still good)
Canon LIde usb scanner (cheapo but still good)
HP 2200 Laser printer

Two Samsung 204b LCD screens

Favorite Apps:
Website Watcher (couldn't live without it)
Realplayer (for watching cspan and making myself angry with politics)

ps. i was using very old used burned out crt displays up until earlier this year when the flicker got so crazy that i finally had to upgrade to LCDs.  you can get these lcds now on sale for about $280 each -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226
i'm quite happy with them though the comments on newegg are appropriate - they arent as vivid as some more expensive ones, but overall a great bargain for the price.  the best part about lcds -> increase in desk space.

f0dder:
Hmm - I said ADSL/Wifi router - I assumed it would be understood by the ADSL bit that I meant a modem ;) - in what sense has any router without a modem got anything to do with ADSL ?
-Carol Haynes (July 23, 2006, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno, but the FWG114p is presented as an "adsl router". Perhaps because it can do PPPoE...

app103:
What I have:

Name: EdTheSlowAss

NEC9820 specs

The Sun 447 monitor doesn't show up in the specs, but that's what it is.

The ghetto desk is comprised of 2 filing cabinets and a table top ironing board across an open drawer.  ;D

What I use it for currently:

* 9x application testing
* backup for personal files
* keeping my sanity when my daughter is hogging the good pc
* getting work done without internet distractions (digital art, web design, programming, typing up recipes I have collected & created over the last 20 yrs into .txt files)
Up until about 7 months ago, it was the only pc I had...for about 3 yrs because of my P3 computer dying. It's very stable, despite the fact it runs WinME. It was my very first PC...the one I spoke of in the first podcast

Name: Yasmin

HP Pavilion a847c specs

What I use this for:

What don't I use it for?  :huh: (well, I am not much of a gamer)

A slightly outdated list of my fav software can be found on my site:

http://www.appsapps.info/links.php

add the following to that:

* WinRar
* DClock (mine)
* ToDo List (mine)
* 3m Post-It Software Notes
* Wavman 11
* AOL 8.0
* AIM Triton
* MSN Messenger
* Yahoo Messenger
* Google Talk
* Callwave
* Crystalport browser (no longer available)
* Opera
* AOL Explorer It's better than you would guess!
* AC177 Ares client (made by a friend)
* IDE3 (made by a friend)
* Fried Babelfish (mine - based on a script by Krishean Draconis)
* ProtoRelay (made by a friend)
* Paintshop Pro 7
* Taskbar++
* Dev-C++
* C++ Builder 6
* Delphi 6
* KeePass
* TPA Ad Buster
* AVG
* TaskbarEx
* DYDLO (mouser's)
* FadingTaskbar (skrommel's)
* Zone Alarm Pro
* Ad Muncher
* WhatPulse (my team's stats page) hey, we should start a team!
* ISC Alert
* Zinio Reader
* FeedExplorer Just got this and I am loving it!
* Ouka and explaination

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version