ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Just tried using a 4k monitor in my setup, did not like it

<< < (2/5) > >>

tomos:
Wondering to what percentage you increased the font-size in windows?

(FWIW I would worry that a lot of software just doesnt cater to that resolution...)

Ath:
I'm with mouser; a 27" monitor on 2560*1440 resolution is really close to perfect :up:
4k (3840*2160) should best be scaled to 200% on a 27" screen, but effectivly is equal to 1920*1080... Better would be a 30" 4k monitor @ 150%, but that's a different price-range

wysiwyg125:
Good to know, as I've been considering going 4K...maybe I'll first try 1440p.

For something like gaming though, I'd assume 4K works well? Most modern games are not so text-dependent, so I'd think the text size problem would not be an issue

IainB:
...Most modern games are not so text-dependent, so I'd think the text size problem would not be an issue...
-wysiwyg125 (December 11, 2017, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's probably generally true, but on my laptop (Resolution 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz) there was a perceptible down-sizing of the fonts in the scrolling Pip-Boy displays of Fallout New Vegas, when played in Ultra High Definition mode, compared to the default standard mode definition. The fonts were still readable OK (though I have to use specs anyway), but it made me wonder whether that might make them more difficult to read on higher dpi displays.

mouser:
For something like gaming though, I'd assume 4K works well? Most modern games are not so text-dependent, so I'd think the text size problem would not be an issue
--- End quote ---

Well you're not going to have a problem with text SIZE when playing a game full screen on a 4k monitor.
However, what you are going to be doing is demanding a hell of a lot more processor power from your computer and graphics card to render a 4k image.

So the question you should ask yourself is are you willing to pay a real cost in performance of the game in order to have the increase in resolution.  For me, 4k feels like overkill on a 27 inch monitor that is 2 feet away from my eyes.  So even for games I think the trade-off is not worth it.  At that distance, 2560x1440 feels like the sweet spot to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version