ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need some (security/virus-related) advice.

<< < (3/3)

IainB:
Do you think a windows 10 "refresh" would accomplish this?
-ayryq (December 11, 2017, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting. That could be a novel way of dealing with the situation if the PC has been compromised/hacked in some way, but I'm not sure whether it would be a recommended best practice approach.

4wd:
2.  fSekrit: (@f0dder's own proprietary software using AES encryption)
LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!
--- End quote ---
-IainB (December 11, 2017, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is open source and available for review on GitHub for the last 22 months, (forum post).

I was visiting my parents house last week and noticed an icon for "Teamviewer" on my dad's desktop.-ayryq (December 11, 2017, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, since I'm the de facto computer repair technician for the family both my parents computers have CCleaner Cloud installed on them, I get emails about what software has been installed/updated and, if necessary, remotely uninstall some software, (depends on the software).

Of course, the downside is I also get to remotely fix things while I'm overseas  :-\

Deozaan:
If I had to guess, I'd say the odds are good that he paid $100 to a company that used teamviewer to remote connect in and (at least tried) to fix his computer, and that everything is fine and nothing was taken...-mouser (December 11, 2017, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I had to guess, I'd say the odds are good that he paid $100 to a "Nigerian Prince" who used TeamViewer to remote connect in and "scan for and fix problems" (they were probably just running scandisk or defrag or something equally harmless/useless).

But of course it could be a lot worse than that.

Either way, make sure TeamViewer gets uninstalled in case they set it up to allow unattended access.

IainB:
2.  fSekrit: (@f0dder's own proprietary software using AES encryption)
LATEST VERSION: fSekrit 1.40 shrinkwrapped!
-IainB (2017-12-11, 11:46:13)

It is open source and available for review on GitHub for the last 22 months, (forum post).
-4wd (December 11, 2017, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ahh. Thanks @4wd. Hadn't read that - or had forgotten if I had. When I went to the fSekrit website to check on the latest version status, I thought 2009 as the latest date in the changelog looked a bit dated/neglected, but I didn't like to say anything that might seem critical. I didn't  notice any pointers to GitHub.    :-[
I guess it is an open Sekrit now, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version