ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Explorer crashing

<< < (3/4) > >>

app103:
You wouldn't happen to be using Classic Shell under Windows 10, by any chance?

If so, try disabling it and rebooting, to see if that solves your problem.

After a recent Windows update (which may have also occurred to your system automatically, without you noticing), I started experiencing the same sort of Explorer problems.

The culprit turned out to be Classic Shell. Once I disabled it and rebooted, problem was solved.

rgdot:
Thanks for replying app, no Classic Shell here.

I have done all in that microsoft page I linked above and done other suggestions in this thread, except a deep hard drive test which is currently running, was unable to last night. Strange one, might do Windows 10 reset later in the week.

Braggart. We don't need to be told what you intend getting up to at nighttime.
-IainB (December 12, 2017, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D

rgdot:
'Interestingly' the errors occur in safe mode too, haven't seen anything like this before. Last night's deep hard disk scan showed 0 errors.
Before resorting to reset or anything like that I created a new standard user account to see how it behaves.

MilesAhead:
One thing that can cause Explorer to crash is a corrupt context menu handler.  There is a way to disable them all.  Then if Explorer does not crash you know it is likely the issue.  It then becomes a process of elimination.  I forget how to disable them but I know there is a tutorial on www.tenforums.com that gives step by step how to proceed.

rgdot:
Will try that, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version