ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC on Discord :O

<< < (3/6) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Seems like the best approach would be to create a discord<->irc bridge bot so conversations on either show up on both places. That way you avoid splitting the audience between both platforms (or you end up with even less people to talk to).

KynloStephen66515:
Seems like the best approach would be to create a discord<->irc bridge bot so conversations on either show up on both places. That way you avoid splitting the audience between both platforms (or you end up with even less people to talk to).
-Gothi[c] (February 05, 2019, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

We had a Discord<>IRC Bridge (The remains of that are still on the Discord server in #donationcoder-on-irc) but it seemed completely pointless paying for it to stay online (VPS) on the basis that the only person who ever talks on the DC IRC recently, is the forum bot, lol.

Considering we have a fairly large community of people, it surprises me that not that many want to come and chat in real-time about various topics :(

Honestly, I'd prefer Discord to be the option over IRC (more modern features, always connected, etc etc), but in all honesty...if everybody chose IRC for DC...I would be happy anyway...I'd just like to see more interaction between members of the community XD

KynloStephen66515:
-Gothi[c] (February 05, 2019, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

We had a Discord<>IRC Bridge (The remains of that are still on the Discord server in #donationcoder-on-irc) but it seemed completely pointless paying for it to stay online (VPS) on the basis that the only person who ever talks on the DC IRC recently, is the forum bot, lol.

Considering we have a fairly large community of people, it surprises me that not that many want to come and chat in real-time about various topics :(

Honestly, I'd prefer Discord to be the option over IRC (more modern features, always connected, etc etc), but in all honesty...if everybody chose IRC for DC...I would be happy anyway...I'd just like to see more interaction between members of the community XD
-Stephen66515 (February 05, 2019, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I changed my mind and added the bridge...now it doesn't matter if you're on IRC or Discord...We can see you from either end!  :D

KynloStephen66515:
* Stephen66515 bumps this post again
Casual reminder that this exists :P

IainB:
Um, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that this technology may have been superseded somewhat by newer technology, several years ago (on August 14, 2013) - by what seems to be the stuff of nightmares for the NSA and other Five Eyes members - Telegram.
Includes: (some of this is from memory)

* Requires no server, just client devices.
* $FREE "forever".
* Ability to support Channel providers by voluntary donations and/or subscriptions.
* Security based on your unique phone number and passphrase (similar in that regard to the Japanese LINE social network system).
* Works on various clients:
* Android.
* Windows and Windows Portable.
* macOS
* MacApp Store version
* Linux 32-bit
* Linux 64-bit
* Absolutely secure + private end-to-end encryption. with distributed Cloud storage.
* Text messaging with some RTF capability.
* Voice (audio) telephony.
* Voice (audio) messaging.
* Concepts of Channels, Discussions, Groups, and social/business networking, secret chats.
* Dynamic links to URLs, with content partially shown in posts containing those links.
* Posts are left as editable, for a period, or can be replaced (with current date) by new posts.
* Your own posts can be permanently removed by you, for yourself only (e.g., to remove clutter in a thread), or for all others also.
* Files that you download from links or upload to links (documents, images, audio files, audio-video files, compressed files) don't seem to have a limit on size (though I could be wrong) and are stored encrypted in your Cloud Account and regarded as your permanent property. That means only you can delete them, or they will be expunged if you don't use your account for a preset period of your choice (up to 12 months).
* You can "clean" these files from your client device's Telegram cache (to recover storage space), but they will remain yours in the Telegram Cloud and can be downloaded again (useful for backup and for video junkies).
* The use of programmable "bots" (similar to Yahoo! PIPE, IFTTT).
* etc.
See also:
Extracted notes from the Telegram FAQ:
(Copied from: Telegram F.A.Q. - <https://telegram.org/faq#q-how-are-you-going-to-make-money-out-of-this>)
-IainB (July 24, 2018, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version