topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lastpass down  (Read 5371 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lastpass down
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Lastpass is broken here and seems to be broken for many others too --
I can get to the site but cannot log in -- either get no response, or 'check my internet' or having trouble connecting to the server.

Screenshot - 2017-11-24 , 22_40_26.pngLastpass down
http://downdetector.com/status/lastpass
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lastpass down
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:46 PM »
This is not something I have catered for -- how can one cater for this, securely?
Tom

wysiwyg125

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:07 PM »
This is not something I have catered for -- how can one cater for this, securely?

I don't use LastPass. Does this mean you can't now login to any websites that you have used LastPass passwords for? It needs to contact their servers each time to retrieve your password?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:16 PM »

I don't use LastPass. Does this mean you can't now login to any websites that you have used LastPass passwords for? It needs to contact their servers each time to retrieve your password?

there's supposed to be offline access, but not sure how it works -- quote below gives the impression it would automatically work -- this was not my experience.

Offline Access to your LastPass Vault
How to Utilize Offline Access in Your Browser Extension or Mobile Application

The key to gaining offline access in your LastPass browser extension or mobile app is to have logged into the extension or app at least one time while you have had an internet connection.   This ensures that your computer or device has cached a local version of your encrypted data to the local drive. This is the data that LastPass loads when you login to LastPass while offline.   Any LastPass browser extension or mobile application can be logged into without an internet connection, and will default to this mode when no connection is present.

Please note these special options and conditions:

– In each browser extension, if you clear your LastPass Local Cache (LastPass Toolbar Icon -> More Options -> Advanced -> Clear Local Cache), you will have to log in online once more to recreate your cache before you can log in using offline mode again.
-https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/your-lastpass-vault/

Possibly not working here because I do have an internet connection.

EDIT// I guess this is why people go for a paid version: they do offer something called 'Lastpass Pocket' (I think) that works offline. Will have to check it out.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:45 PM »
I don't use lastpass pocket, even though I'm premium.  I'm having no problem accessing lastpass currently.  I think that they meant if you had logged into lastpass while you had an internet connection, it has cached versions on your machine.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:16 PM »
^ I managed to log in at one stage but it didnt actually work. Maybe the problem is more this side of the world -- I'm definitely not alone at any rate.

I think that they meant if you had logged into lastpass while you had an internet connection, it has cached versions on your machine.

yes, that's what I understood. And they say that if you log in it will go there -- but it looks to me like you have to (in my situation) disconnect from the internet for that to happen. As it happens I managed to get into the site I was needing lastpass for, so I'm not going to follow up on that tonight. Will try it over the weekend.
Tom