ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

<< < (5/11) > >>

f0dder:
but I think there's some usefulness in being able to differ between "I wrote a little program" vs. "I wrote a little script"
-f0dder (July 30, 2006, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where is the difference? And much more importantly: What's the use? (Many songs have been writting about this question, it seems kinda fundamental)
-housetier (August 01, 2006, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess time and effort spent, as well as some brief idea of the use? But of course some people write long scripts, and other people write short programs, and people use X when they should have used Y etc...

*shrug* :P

rkarman:
If it contains variables its programming
-mukestar (July 28, 2006, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

so we figured it all out, all scripting is programming. html & xml are not

euhmm... and now ...
what is xslt & sql?

(just to finish the full classification  ;))

CodeTRUCKER:
Unless someone convinces me otherwise, "programming" has to have variables and I don't care a cat's whisker... er, uh, present company excepted, if it is compiled or interpreted.  That is unless, of course someone wants to call it "scripting."

Veign:
I skimmed through this thread and it seems people have confused script, scripting, programming, and compiled.

Script is a segment of code that performs a specific function.  A script can be written in any language, whether compiled or scripting.  Not sure there is a length restriction but the idea is it performs one thing.

Now the confusion comes in when a scripting tool uses the term script for everything.  If scripting tools wanted respect in the development world they would have dropped that and opted for a different terms and stuck with the more main stream definitions.

Scripting is a method for which a script or program runs through an interpreter at the time the functionality of the program is requested.  This is what converts a set of instructions to something a computer can actually perform.

Scripting Language is one where the code is run through an interpreter at the time the functionality of the program is requested.  This is what converts a set of instructions to something a computer can actually perform.

Compiled means the higher level code is pre-interpreted (used this phrase to better associate with scripting) down to code that the processor (or framework) can understand.  Compiled is usually down to single unit.

Program (IMO) is a script, algorithm, collection of scripts, scripts with binding code that has an interface*. 
* - interface may not always take the place of a User Interface.  An interface could be invisible to a user as in the case of a background program.  Lets say we had a program that sat on a server monitoring a folder for files and everytime it saw a new file it processed the file (maybe pushed data into a database) - no interface but still a program.

Application.  See program.

As we move forward the umbrella of the word program (I prefer Application) must be expanded to accept the cutting edge stuff developers are doing (i.e. PHP, AJAX, Javascript, Ruby).

I defined the things above using very non-technical terms so anyone can understand it so its definitions may not be 100% technically correct as they are just trying to convery an idea.

mouser:
Scripting is a method for which a script or program runs through an interpreter at the time the functionality of the program is requested.  This is what converts a set of instructions to something a computer can actually perform.
--- End quote ---

Never heard the term used in that way.. I think you meant to say "Interpretting."
Interpretting is when the interpreter executes the script.

The only use of the term "scripting" I am familiar with refers to the human process of writing scripts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version