ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

<< < (3/11) > >>

Rover:
I was thinking about the origins of scripting.  I think that Unix shell scripting would be among the first scripts.  I'm open to correction on that.

As I think about things in that light, scripts are special purpose, automation tools.  Think "Read from the script."  They tend to much less user interactive.  The purpose is to automate a routine or tedious task.  ie: start my web server with all of it's command line parameters.

There seems to be a fuzzy line where a script can become an application when you start adding more options and/or user control. 

I must be up to 4 cents by now.... :two: :two:

mukestar:
ive just got a black and white way of looking at it

If it contains variables its programming

I.e html is just mark up , its not programming

JavaJones:
Mukestart that's actually a really interesting distinction. As a non-programmer I can't claim a deep enough understanding to say whether that's really legitimate, but somehow it makes a little bit of intuitive sense to me. ;)

- Oshyan

mukestar:
I actually got it from my old boss, we had a web designer trying to chat up the receptionist and was telling her he was a programmer, and my boss shouted across the room

"Your not a F****ng programmer, you wouldn`t know a variable if it bit you on the arse"

Oh happy days

mouser:
lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version