ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scripting vs. Programming

<< < (2/11) > >>

app103:
If it's code you are writing, you are doing some sort of programming, in my opinion.

Others may disagree with my idea of web designers that hand code html in notepad as doing some sort of programming. But consider this: it's code they are writing....and it's not always easy to do. You try making a knockout looking website that validates, looks right in most browsers, and only use notepad to do it, and you will see. I think it's about time that the programming community give good web designers some of the credit they deserve.

On the assumption that scripting is easy and programming languages aren't, I would have to disagree. I have seen some very complex Javascript and some really simple VB & Delphi apps that only took a few lines of code to make, if any at all (simple Delphi example & complex Javascript example).

if programming = cooking then

* html & css = prep chef or mom's home cooking
* scripting languages = sometimes a short order cook, sometimes a chef in a smaller restaurant
* low level programming languages = being both the farmer that grows the food as well as the master chef that cooks it
* high level programming languages = all of the above, depending on the skills of the programmer and what they are creating

f0dder:
I wouldn't call HTML-in-notepad programming. I can see why you could argue it's a form of programming, after all HTML is a language with syntax rules - but I think calling it programming is stretching it. Once you throw javascript or similar into the equation, it's a different thing, though.

Cute things CAN be done in javascript... it's just not a suitable language for doing that kind of stuff. But it's done nevertheless.
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13121
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=18327
(heck, google "Javascript site:pouet.net").

zridling:
Thanks for the explanations. But is there a point at which a script becomes a program? f0dder makes a good point with javascript. The line is gray from my standpoint.

JavaJones:
Definitely gray at this point.

- Oshyan

dodowolf:
I would think programming include scripting. And in fact, as long as you could write down a concept, or a method of calculating using any type of langauge, it would be programming. Scripting is another way of saying "writing in a language which uses interpreter instead of compiler".

2cents

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version