ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New faster Firefox browser released

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Well that sucks.

I was using a tab-grouping extension which had about 100 tabs open and organized into various groups I use when working on different things. I shut down Firefox when I rebooted my computer for a Windows update and when I got back and opened Firefox, it automatically updated, getting rid of my tab grouping extension and forgetting about the existence of all my tabs except for the ones which were in the last group I had active before closing the browser. I see no way to recover the old tabs.

Thanks to Mozilla for breaking things during an automatic update I had no choice to install simply because I tried to use my browser! >:(

wraith808:
Thanks to Mozilla for breaking things during an automatic update I had no choice to install simply because I tried to use my browser!
-Deozaan (November 15, 2017, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'd downloaded, but I hadn't installed.  I think I'll wait on that until the all-clear at this point...

Deozaan:
Thanks to Mozilla for breaking things during an automatic update I had no choice to install simply because I tried to use my browser!
-Deozaan (November 15, 2017, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'd downloaded, but I hadn't installed.  I think I'll wait on that until the all-clear at this point...
-wraith808 (November 15, 2017, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair, the thing that broke was due to an incompatible add-on. I'm just frustrated that the update happened automatically and didn't give me a warning or even a chance to cancel the installation before upgrading to something that was incompatible with what I was using. :(

Other than my frustration with losing all of my tabs in the various tab groups, the updated browser does seem to run well.

And in the process of trying to find another tab grouping add-on I found one called Multi-Account Containers which is a little clunky but basically allows you to set up different sessions (containers), so you can be logged into multiple accounts on the same site at the same time. And it even allows you to configure certain websites to open in certain containers by default.

So for instance, if I visit a bunch of gaming websites, such as Wikia and GameFAQs, I can configure those sites to always open in my "Games" container so they don't get in the way of my "Work" container, or whatever.

It's not quite the same as the Tab Groups were, since using the groups would de-clutter my screen and only show the tabs for the active group. But I do like how I can have separate logins/IDs for each container. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to keep identities separate, so I have a couple of different Gmail accounts, etc. Having a "Personal" container and a "Business" container which can both be logged into their own Gmail accounts at the same time, for example, is pretty nice.

Even so, I think Vivaldi is going to remain my primary browser for the time being.

wraith808:
Even so, I think Vivaldi is going to remain my primary browser for the time being.
-Deozaan (November 16, 2017, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been trying that out... it hasn't usurped Chrome for me yet...

tomos:
And there's no decent session manager addon yet.
-tomos (November 15, 2017, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

this seems mainly due to a Firefox bug:
if you restore via a session manager extension, it cannot load a tab 'inactively' -- all tabs restored will be fully loaded.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1378647

Oddly, it *can* do this natively: i.e. if I use the options to restore tabs on restart, they are *not* all loaded -- they are only actively loaded when I click on them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version