ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to expand laptop storage?

<< < (2/5) > >>

4wd:
It's an mSATA SSD, go buy a bigger one.

Is there some philosophical reason it always takes half a dozen posts before we get enough information?

IainB:
Is there some philosophical reason it always takes half a dozen posts before we get enough information?
-4wd (November 12, 2017, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, my apologies @4wd, but I suspect this may come from a clone replication of the CONTRO AI that I recall having explained about in a separate thread.

4wd:
Ah, my apologies @4wd, but I suspect this may come from a clone replication of the CONTRO AI that I recall having explained about in a separate thread.-IainB (November 12, 2017, 08:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

@kalos: Search404

I've been reliably informed that the same search also works on Google, Bing, Yahoo, the Whispering Wall, a letter sent to Santa, and a bottle with the question inside thrown into the sea at a random location.

PS. You will note that in the order above the time between the question and the answer increases, this is commensurate with the time to get relevant information before said question can be asked.

PPS. If you feel that you lack the technical expertise to carry out such an exercise: Samsung T3 & T5 Portable

Shades:
If you can open the case of the computer, it's inner parts are upgradable. But if you cannot put back the inner parts in the original case anymore, then it might not be such an good idea to upgrade. And this is a choice only the owner of the device should make. Besides the above, getting the upgraded parts to work correctly with the original hardware could be an Herculan effort. Desktops usually contain parts that are easily interchangeable. Laptops are much more problematic in that regard.

From a very brief search on Google I understand that Lenovo Yoga models are difficult to repair. Still, upgrading a hard disk should in theory not give you much problems, unless it is soldered or glued to the mainboard. In those cases all bets are off. It could still be relatively easy if you have the expertise and equipment at hand, but there is a much higher chance you end up with a pretty expensive doorstop.

Repairability/upgradability from any model of computer I intend to purchase is the first thing I look for. Especially nowadays, where more and more manufacturers apply "planned obsolescence" into all of their products.

mwb1100:
Keep in mind that even if swapping the SSD is physically possible (and maybe even easy) there is the additional complication of getting the contents of the old drive over to the new drive.

You might find something like this to be helpful: Sabrent USB 3.0 mSATA II or III/6G SSD Enclosure Adapter

(Note: I have not used the above item)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version