ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 free upgrade loophole closing in December

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Even though I'm using Win 10 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro was better.

More efficient than 7 but with less aggravating "we want to know everything you do, it's really our machine" than 10.
-4wd (January 12, 2018, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hated Windows 8, more for the interface features, and the little peculiarities.  And example... I connect via RDP to my work laptop from home.  I've stopped using  it and use my Windows 7 box instead, mostly because after RDPing for a bit (random amount of time) it flakes out.  And it's a known problem, and the only fix is to RDP from some other platform.

4wd:
Must be a YMMV thing, I never had any problem using RDP to my headless XP/8.1 machine either from the same LAN or from the UK, using laptops/computers running 8.1.

wraith808:
Must be a YMMV thing, I never had any problem using RDP to my headless XP/8.1 machine either from the same LAN or from the UK, using laptops/computers running 8.1.
-4wd (January 13, 2018, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem is going from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1, and the Support guy showed me the MS advisement.

4wd:
But that's it, the headless computer at home was running 8.1 for a couple of years after all other machines were upgraded to 10, (it only changed from 8.1 to 10 in the last couple of months}.

So for the last 2 years or so I've been RDP from 10 to 8.1.

Yeah, sorry, I should have said I've been RDP from 8.1 and 10 for the last couple of years.

wraith808:
But that's it, the headless computer at home was running 8.1 for a couple of years after all other machines were upgraded to 10, (it only changed from 8.1 to 10 in the last couple of months}.

So for the last 2 years or so I've been RDP from 10 to 8.1.

Yeah, sorry, I should have said I've been RDP from 8.1 and 10 for the last couple of years.
-4wd (January 13, 2018, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure.  But I deal with it every day, and have since I was given a Windows 8.1 machine  I think it also has to do with RDPing non-direct, i.e. from network to network over VPN.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version