ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone familiar with Excel? [Case Closed]

<< < (4/5) > >>

skwire:
Nicely done, PPLandry.    :D :up:

Target:
please post the outcome so everyone that was interested can see

anandcoral:
Hi dantheman, happy to hear your problem is solved. I was thinking querying a base table with rules for different sheets, will solve your case but it will be of different approach. Any way let us know your solution.

Regards,

Anand

dantheman:
Oh boy!
Wasn't really expecting this feedback for sure!
Will try to express it to the best of my abilities.

Anyway, with PPLandry (convenience wise) we did a Google Hangout while working it out on a Google Spreadsheet.
As you can see from this link, the project no longer has 14 tabs but only 2 now.
The second tab (monthview) can be obtained in a different way from the data one.
While in data tab, clicking on "data", then "filter" has many different options to choose from.
Seeing that i imported the working file into Microsoft Excel, i've discovered a few things and a few glitches to iron out.
PPLandry was kind enough to let me know that i can reach out to him again when needed.
So that is a huge plus.
Will try to iron out all the bugs before then.

PPLandry:
My pleasure dantheman,

For the record, the chosen approach was to use a Google spreadsheet with 2 sheets.
The first contains the data (the who, what, when)
The second contains a pivot table to summarize. It was setup as a year/month view of $, but could slice and dice on other fields
Since Google pivot tables (unlike Excel) cannot group by dates, 2 calculated columns were added to the data sheet: Year, Month (using built-in functions)

While Google spreadsheet is not as powerful as Excel, it does provide these easy to use features, which could be useful, either now or down the road:
- Sharing (View, View and Edit)
- Mobile apps (phone, tablets)
- History with easy revert back, in case of mistakes
- Chat window
- Live collaboration
- Browser-based and free (so nothing to install)

Pierre Paul Landry
IQ Designer
http://www.infoqube.biz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version