ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Backup4all v.7 supports 37+ online backups (!)

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
37 Backup Services all using S3 means there's really only 1 backup service: S3. :-\
-Deozaan (November 01, 2017, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

It has others.  There's just a lot of S3 action.  It does google, azure, onedrive, dropbox, and others.  It's just that now they have added the capability to use any service that uses S3 on the backend.

Deozaan:
I think my comment was misunderstood. :-[ It's easy to see why, since it was tangential to this thread. It actually had nothing to do with Backup4all.

I was just trying to point out that the point of backups is redundancy in case of data loss, and 37 backup services all using S3 means there is no redundancy. If S3 goes down, all 37 of those services go down. Again, that has nothing to do with Backup4all. I just think it's kind of scary how this amazing tangled web of computers we call the internet can all come (nearly) crashing down if only one or two of the big, centralized services goes down.

How much of the internet goes through Amazon S3? Or Cloudflare? etc. It's not uncommon to hear in the news about a big service going down and large swathes of the internet being unreachable to large swathes of people across the world.

I'm really looking forward to the decentralized web which, IMO, will be the prevalent paradigm in another 10-15 years, thanks to efforts being made in projects like IPFS (and related projects), various cryptocurrencies (such as Ethereum), mesh networks, etc. :Thmbsup:

mwb1100:
I read "S3 compatible" as meaning they use the same protocol, but the providers had their own storage farms.  If they are all delegating their storage to Amazon, then your point about lack of redundancy might be something to consider.

wraith808:
I read "S3 compatible" as meaning they use the same protocol, but the providers had their own storage farms.  If they are all delegating their storage to Amazon, then your point about lack of redundancy might be something to consider.
-mwb1100 (November 01, 2017, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

It would be the latter.  However, S3 has built in redundancy that you can control.  There is a personal health dashboard that shows all of your resource groups that you're buying into.  They're all amazon, but for instance, I have buckets replicated in Northern VA and Northern California.

tomos:
I think my comment was misunderstood. :-[
-Deozaan (November 01, 2017, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
completely ;D

S3 has built in redundancy that you can control.  There is a personal health dashboard that shows all of your resource groups that you're buying into.  They're all amazon, but for instance, I have buckets replicated in Northern VA and Northern California.
-wraith808 (November 02, 2017, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
good tip,
mind you, presumably you dont know where exactly the other backup services are storing their/your data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version