ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is this laptop a good option?

<< < (2/2)

dr_andus:
I'd second that, with an additional suggestion - born from experience of working at HP (Asia-Pacific) - that potential buyers should always hunt out PC/laptop manufacturer refurbished products (HP, DELL, etc.), from dealers who are preferred buyers of those brands - they are not usually sold direct to the general public, for obvious reasons. Price is usually around half the new price.
-IainB (October 30, 2017, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually Dell Outlets do sell directly to the general public, though make sure to check both "Dell Outlet for Home" and "Dell Outlet for Work." I picked up some incredible deals at the latter (you don't need to be a business customer), such as a £1000 Dell Chromebook 13 (top specs, i.e. i5 processor with 8GB RAM, which is at top end for Chromebooks) for below £400. It looked totally brand new and unused.

Here's the link:

Refurbished Laptops, Desktops and Tablet PCs | Dell Outlet UK | Dell UK

IainB:
@dr_andus: Thanks! I never knew that about DELL! That DELL UK refurbished kit website looks very good.

The DELL NZ refurbished kit website is: http://www.dell.com/learn/nz/en/nzdhs1/campaigns/dell-outlet-nz

All of their laptop model sections currently indicate no stock though, so one can't make a comparison with anything.
* XPS Laptops
 - were NIL refurbished stock.

I suspect that DELL NZ have no refurbishing service resources as the tiny NZ market (pop. approx. 4.5 million) does not warrant it. Though they ostensibly have an NZ retail outlet website for refurbished laptops, it's probably barely alive.
The only times I have seen DELL refurbished laptops for sale in NZ, "as-new", has been in special one-day offers from 3rd parties' (not DELL) online, that sporadically sourced stuff in bulk batches from Australia - the refurbished kit came in prepackaged identifying boxes which never seemed to have come from NZ but from Australia.

This would be similar to HP whose refurbished kit always came from Australia, and, as far as I recall was rarely available for shipping to NZ anyway (freight charges probably being too costly and making the kit non-competitive or unprofitable per pricebook).
When I worked at HP NZ, staff could usually get small staff discounts for new laptops, by buying it online from a local NZ 3rd party supplier, but refurbished kit was not usually available.

Still, there are occasional bargains to be had, so it is worth getting on the emailing lists of any local 3rd party online suppliers (as above). I have bought DELL, Samsung, Toshiba and HP from these suppliers, over the years since 2006, and the refurbished kit I bought has always been of good value and refurbished to AI standard, and with a warranty - though sometimes (except for DELL) reduced to 6 months, rather than the standard full year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version