topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is this laptop a good option?  (Read 5373 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is this laptop a good option?
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Hello!

Is this a good option?
https://www.lightint...82.html?currency=GBP

It has all the characteristics I want, but I am worried about the quality...

Any idea?
Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is this laptop a good option?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Review sites:
https://www.notebook...Review.169542.0.html
http://www.gizchina....oyo-vbook-v3-review/
http://www.androidti...oyo-vbook-v3-review/
http://www.xiaomitod...-fingerprint-review/
https://tech.co/voyo...-come-review-2016-09

From what I understand when glancing through these sites is that the build quality as a whole is ok, but that some of the parts used are not that great to begin with. Trackpad appears to be limited in functionality en sensitivity, the same is also true for the stylus pen. Sound is not that good and you will have to put up with big bezels. It also looks like Voyo re-uses the case design, hence the big bezels that remain between their V1 to their V3 product.

But in the end, had I enough money for purchasing it, I would definitely want one.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:18 AM »
You can find it cheaper at other Chinese retail sites, eg. Geekbuying

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:19 AM »
Just want to mention that I have had really good luck buying older used laptops on ebay.. you can get real bargains for models that are a few years old.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 04:58 AM »
Just want to mention that I have had really good luck buying older used laptops on ebay.. you can get real bargains for models that are a few years old.
I'd second that, with an additional suggestion - born from experience of working at HP (Asia-Pacific) - that potential buyers should always hunt out PC/laptop manufacturer refurbished products (HP, DELL, etc.), from dealers who are preferred buyers of those brands - they are not usually sold direct to the general public, for obvious reasons. Price is usually around half the new price.

Refurbished PCs/laptops are typically the 2 year-old (or so) unwanted stock from renewed corporate lease-buy-back schemes, and are always in A1, refurbished, individually fully-tested and warrantied state (i.e., better than new), with sometimes small scratches/blemishes on the outer case.

Another suggestion is to spot the laptop you want at a store/reseller and make an offer to buy an ex-demo/display laptop from them when the model is at/near end-of-line or the reseller is closing down. The last laptop I bought, I picked up a new NZ$1,750 demo laptop (with 15-inch display and Intel i7 processor) for about NZ$760 like that.

I'd also suggest that "Is this laptop a good option?" is probably not a terribly useful question, as it all depends on what one's requirements/needs might be at the time, and referring to "quality" is using an ambiguous term and very often the only major difference between two similar but different brands of laptop is the brand (badge-engineering).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:06 AM by IainB »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:12 AM »
I'd second that, with an additional suggestion - born from experience of working at HP (Asia-Pacific) - that potential buyers should always hunt out PC/laptop manufacturer refurbished products (HP, DELL, etc.), from dealers who are preferred buyers of those brands - they are not usually sold direct to the general public, for obvious reasons. Price is usually around half the new price.

Actually Dell Outlets do sell directly to the general public, though make sure to check both "Dell Outlet for Home" and "Dell Outlet for Work." I picked up some incredible deals at the latter (you don't need to be a business customer), such as a £1000 Dell Chromebook 13 (top specs, i.e. i5 processor with 8GB RAM, which is at top end for Chromebooks) for below £400. It looked totally brand new and unused.

Here's the link:

Refurbished Laptops, Desktops and Tablet PCs | Dell Outlet UK | Dell UK

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38 PM »
@dr_andus: Thanks! I never knew that about DELL! That DELL UK refurbished kit website looks very good.

The DELL NZ refurbished kit website is: http://www.dell.com/learn/nz/en/nzdhs1/campaigns/dell-outlet-nz

All of their laptop model sections currently indicate no stock though, so one can't make a comparison with anything.
* XPS Laptops
 - were NIL refurbished stock.

I suspect that DELL NZ have no refurbishing service resources as the tiny NZ market (pop. approx. 4.5 million) does not warrant it. Though they ostensibly have an NZ retail outlet website for refurbished laptops, it's probably barely alive.
The only times I have seen DELL refurbished laptops for sale in NZ, "as-new", has been in special one-day offers from 3rd parties' (not DELL) online, that sporadically sourced stuff in bulk batches from Australia - the refurbished kit came in prepackaged identifying boxes which never seemed to have come from NZ but from Australia.

This would be similar to HP whose refurbished kit always came from Australia, and, as far as I recall was rarely available for shipping to NZ anyway (freight charges probably being too costly and making the kit non-competitive or unprofitable per pricebook).
When I worked at HP NZ, staff could usually get small staff discounts for new laptops, by buying it online from a local NZ 3rd party supplier, but refurbished kit was not usually available.

Still, there are occasional bargains to be had, so it is worth getting on the emailing lists of any local 3rd party online suppliers (as above). I have bought DELL, Samsung, Toshiba and HP from these suppliers, over the years since 2006, and the refurbished kit I bought has always been of good value and refurbished to AI standard, and with a warranty - though sometimes (except for DELL) reduced to 6 months, rather than the standard full year.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:31 PM by IainB »