ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Portuguese Translation Question

(1/1)

Stoic Joker:
So I've been spending a lot of time translating Portuguese code comments into English so I can so I can figure out what is going on with a project that has become a rather agonizing nightmare. Many times when the comments - which are in all caps - are translated one or more words will come out in all caps, never all words, just some words...the rest are in lower case after translation. So I'm wondering is there something linguistically that is implying emphasis on certain words?

Example (as cut from code):
// SE ALGUM VALOR JÁ TIVER SIDO APLICADO AO TOTAL DA COMPRA O BALANCE SERÁ IGUAL AO NOVO VALOR MENOS O QUE JÁ FOI PAGO

Translated:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid

mouser:
you at least need a comma:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase, the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
you at least need a comma:
// If any value has already been applied to the TOTAL purchase, the BALANCE will be equal to the new value minus what has already been paid
--- End quote ---
-mouser (October 23, 2017, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps, but I'm just pasting it like I found it ... And trying to understand what's happening with the translation of it.

Although I did notice after posting it that the two (all caps) words in question are also the only two words in the original text that are already in English.

*Shrug* ...This whole project is driving me up a wall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version