ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2018

NANY 2018 Release: cnpaperplay - Codenames /Codenames Duet Play on Paper Clone

<< < (12/13) > >>

david842:
My wife and I just played this, and this is my report and review of the game (not of the program that generates games).

I printed just the instructions and the first game for each player, so we could both try it.

We were terribly confused by the instructions (except the part about taking turns, which we understood thoroughly), but kept reading the instructions as we went along.

What we needed was a complete sample game, showing exactly what happened in each turn. What we got was only difficult instructions.

For example, the guesser is supposed to say a word and a number. We never did understand what the number was for, since it wasn't used during our experiment. We chose great clue words (cigarette was the clue for ASH and horse was the clue for STABLE), but that had nothing to do with who got green and was "correct" and who got yellow and was "incorrect"! So unintuitive.

Looking at our two sheets, I see that most of the words have the SAME color. This is confusing, because I thought they were supposed to be random, so I was expecting them to be mixed up. I kept being "correct" and my wife kept being "incorrect", which doesn't work well with our interpersonal dynamics.

We gave up during our 4th turn because we were so lost and saw no point in continuing to play the game.

Our experiences were perhaps not representative of other people, but for us the game, lacking an example of correct play, was only entertaining in that it was kind of funny to be so completely confused.

wraith808:
My wife and I just played this, and this is my report and review of the game (not of the program that generates games).

I printed just the instructions and the first game for each player, so we could both try it.
-david842 (February 02, 2019, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did you look at the instructions for the game that it is based upon?  I think that he just included his alterations, so that might help.

https://czechgames.com/files/rules/codenames-duet-rules-en.pdf

tomos:
For example, the guesser is supposed to say a word and a number. We never did understand what the number was for, since it wasn't used during our experiment.
-david842 (February 02, 2019, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't played in a long time but,
you try and give a clue that will work for as many words as possible e.g. 'fruit' for apple, pear, -- that's where the number comes in, 2 in this case. So the other knows the clue refers to two words on their page.

mouser:
Due to space constraints, it may be hard to follow the rules just from my one sheet if you have never played the full game.  Wraith links to the real full game rules which do a much gentler job of explaining how to play.
I encourage you to give it another try after reading the real game rules (see Wraith's post above) -- it's an incredible game.

mouser:
I have updated the ENGLISH book downloads with better instructions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version