ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Pi-hole - A black hole for internet advertisements and trackers

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
What about sites what detect ad-blockers and demand you disable your add-on blocker for access that sites.
-antekgla (October 09, 2017, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you give me a link to a website that you know does that so I can test? I haven't encountered such a site since I started using Pi Hole.

It is easy to add sites to whitelist?
-antekgla (October 09, 2017, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. The web admin interface allows adding sites to a whitelist, and even comes with a few already added (as shown in the screenshot, these are added so the ad-lists don't unintentionally blacklist each other). It even has multiple one-click options to disable Pi Hole blocking for a short time (or permanently).

I've added an entry to my hosts file so I can access the web admin by simply typing pi.hole into my address bar and it points to my Odroid's LAN IP. :Thmbsup:

antekgla:
Can you give me a link to a website that you know does that so I can test? I haven't encountered such a site since I started using Pi Hole.
-Deozaan (October 09, 2017, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I donĀ“t have right now because normally are sites what I go redirecting when I search certain donwload links.  :-[

Deozaan:
I feel I should clarify something: I already run an ad blocker (Ad Guard) on my main PC and I haven't disabled it since installing Pi Hole. So I can't say for sure how well Pi Hole works in comparison to other ad blockers because it's possible that Ad Guard is blocking ads that Pi Hole is missing.

Even so, the setup of Pi Hole was so easy that I feel it's probably worth it to block some ads on various devices that can't or don't normally use ad blockers (a smart TV, video game console browsers, Internet Explorer for Surface RT, etc.)

40hz:
Nice one!  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
It comes with a nice web admin console with some quick statistics. So here's a shot of statistics for the past ~20 hours:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The blue area on the graph represents the percentage of all DNS requests which were blocked by Pi Hole. As you can see from the large numbers at the top, about 75% of all requests are being blocked.

I had installed the pi hole software on my Odroid the night before I posted about it here, but hadn't yet configured my router to use it for DNS lookups. According to my previous post in this thread, it seems I hooked it up at around the 18:00 marker on the graph, so even though it says those are my 24 hour stats, as mentioned above, it's really only showing about 20 hours of actual usage.

Pi Hole blocks ads, trackers, telemetry, etc. No troubles so far. :Thmbsup: But I kind of wonder how badly my entire LAN will fail if my Odroid somehow goes down and thus my router can't connect to it for DNS lookups. :-\
-Deozaan (October 09, 2017, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most routers allow you to specify a second and often a third DNS server. Just set the secondary to your original DNS server address. If you start seeing ads down the road you'll know your Odroid isn't responding.

Pi-hole - A black hole for internet advertisements and trackers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version