ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Scripting utility suggestions?

<< < (2/4) > >>

zridling:
Given how cost-conscious many businesses are, I'm surprised they buy it! Ouch. Upgrading my software from Europe and outside the States is killing me now that the USDollar is almost not worth the paper its printed on anymore. Most programs have gone up 40-50% in the past year and that hurts.

Sentinel:
I can confirm that both Automate and 4NT (my personal choice) are very good scripting utilities (though rather different uses).  Python is also meant to be rather good and is free.  Wintasks is massively overpriced and overrated in my opinion - A product without a real purpose.

Ultimately I guess it depends on exactly what you are trying to script.  ;)

dnm:
I use AutoIt (v3) on a daily basis. It's a lot more work to make AutoIt scripts than to use something like AutoMate, which I tried out (but ran away from after finding out about the price, and the fact that it leaves a server/scheduler app running continuously by default, which I didn't need), but it has enough of the features I want at the right price.

Having found out about AppRocket (see <https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=561.0>), I use it to launch my AutoIt scripts, which is a huge win. I do this rather than assign a key macro to each script with KeyText because there are more than just a few AutoIt scripts I want to run fairly often and having too many key macros is a pain.

zridling:
Good tips on launching scripts through another app. I'll try that with AutoHotkey, thanks.

Edvard:
I also use AutoIt quite a bit, so I may be biased. If your looking for an editor, many script editors have AutoIt syntaxes you can use, but AutoIt has a version of SciTE that build-checks your scripts and gives you hint boxes as you type, compile from the editor, etc. as well as the rest of the features you might expect (syntax coloring, etc.). Also, a character by the name of Rob van der Woude has a page full of scripting resources from good ol' batch to VBScript, Kixtart, Perl, Rexx and WSH. Other than that, I've tiddled around with Kixtart and I only have VBScript experience writing tables for Visual Pinball (0wnZ!!) so can't speak for any others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version