ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Scripting utility suggestions?

(1/4) > >>

zridling:
Can anyone recommend a robust scripting utility? Here are two I've used over the past 20 months, one of which I've rejected:
__(1) AutoHotkey
__(2) AutoIt

I'm considering buying PrimalScript later this year when the 4.0 version comes out, but it's a full-fledged scripting editor unlike the two above.

mouser:
i'd like to hear the answer to this as well.
i've tried autopilot in the past and liked it.  Automate and WinTask seem quite powerful.

primalscript is really for writing full scripts as in javascript, vb, etc.

my experience is that there isn't much of an overlap in the application of these tools beyond that that both talk about working with "scripts".  if you want to write a mini program, as a programmer, then primalscript is good.  but for automating stuff without having to sit in front of a book for a few hours to learn how to do something with vbs or javascript, then these automation tools are the way to go.

if anyone feels like they are competent to do a serious review of scripting/automation tools, i'd love to sign you up for a guest review; not going to be an easy review since there are some deep features to explore and several serious contenders, but it would be a great review to have.  you'd definitely get a reward of one of the screencasting tools :)

zridling:
Thanks for the clarification, mouser. I agree, it's a deep topic to mine, but wow, the rewards for diving deep into scripting software is great indeed. The forum activity of AutoHotkey alone is astounding. Sometimes I think you coders are mutant freaks who could decipher anything thrown in front of you.
But I don't mean that in a bad-freak way, just the normal, good-freak way. ;)

jpfx:
I use automate at work and it's solid. To my mind they've priced themselves out of most individuals budgets. I bought v4/5 for $320 or so, to upgrade to 6 is $395 and a new license is $795!.
I think unisyn were bought out by 'network automation', hence the current ridiculous pricing. I think they ought to fail miserably for gouging their user base.

mouser:
that kind of pricing really upsets me.
it's a conscious decision to completely ignore individual users and only sell to businesses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version