ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

[SOLVED]Reading a book and learning vocabulary

(1/5) > >>

Contro:
I know in this forum there is an english free dictionary. Wordnet or something like that. It can be used offline.
I am reading english books. At this moment I am reading The Information by Martin Amis.

I am writing down the words I don't understand to a txt file.
I would like from this list create a new list that include the meaning of each word of that list.

so I need to launch a search in a prefixed dictionary and add the meaning.

Do you know a script to do this ?

Best Regards

Note : The superb thing may be to add this words to a program like anki to practice the vocabulary I need to understand completely the novel.

Deozaan:
This does not match what you are looking for, but it may help you in many other ways.

It's a Chrome extension that allows you to double-click any word in your browser and it will show a definition. It also places an extension icon near your address bar which allows you to type in a word to find the definition. The downsides are that it doesn't work offline and obviously won't help you with text outside of your browser (which probably includes the book you're reading).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-dictionary-by-goog/mgijmajocgfcbeboacabfgobmjgjcoja

I've used it for years and really like it.

wraith808:

I am writing down the words I don't understand to a txt file.
I would like from this list create a new list that include the meaning of each word of that list.
-Contro (September 07, 2017, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can you attach one of your example lists?

Contro:
Yes !

There is my list of words I don't have memorise yet from the book The Information By Martin Amis

Contro:
This does not match what you are looking for, but it may help you in many other ways.

It's a Chrome extension that allows you to double-click any word in your browser and it will show a definition. It also places an extension icon near your address bar which allows you to type in a word to find the definition. The downsides are that it doesn't work offline and obviously won't help you with text outside of your browser (which probably includes the book you're reading).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-dictionary-by-goog/mgijmajocgfcbeboacabfgobmjgjcoja

I've used it for years and really like it.
-Deozaan (September 08, 2017, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I also remember an utility specially made for traductors in autohotkey that was able to launch searchs and other abilities.
I don't remember now its name, but I will investigate

Running to see the chrome addon.

But I read the ebook in a kindle, not in a browser.
I am supposing is more easy to find words in a offline dictionary.

Each word may have a lot of meanings. And I need all the meanings.
So a word or derivative may have from one line to many lines of text.

I use a program that identify the block with two ** (one at the beginning and other at the end)

:-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version