ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of a lightweight multi-user cms/blog for hosting coders

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
As most of you know we are in the process of migrating the main DC website to a new cms (see here), with the aim of making it easier to maintain the site and add new content.

One of the other things that we have done on DC is provide web hosting for some dc members to create their own websites, on a separate server (dcmembers.com).
We started out thinking that would be a really nice feature to offer dc members, but we have gradually done less and less of that over time.

The main reason is maintenance headaches.. It's basically running a shared server with lots of different user accounts and all the headaches that entails.  There are also security concerns with everyone running different web scripts and some being abandoned and not updated with security releases, etc.

The other reason is the proliferation over the years of free hosting services (blogger, github, etc.).

It still occurs to me that a compromise solution would be some kind of multi-user cms/blog system where we would only have to maintain one central piece of software and could create lots of individual user accounts, where each user could maintain their area and their software and blog writings..

It would be more restrictive in format (i.e. mostly uniform appearance of user pages), but that could also be an advantage in terms of consistency, and would have the advantage of sharing visitors and popularity and being able to have a shared news/release page, etc.

So my question is -- can anyone recommend some multi-user cms thing that is really designed to give each author their own (protected) "area" to create and maintain in, and host software for download, while offering some shared news/search/etc functions?

f0dder:
I understand your headaches wrt. maintenance and security, but...

It would be more restrictive in format (i.e. mostly uniform appearance of user pages), but that could also be an advantage in terms of consistency, and would have the advantage of sharing visitors and popularity and being able to have a shared news/release page, etc.-mouser (September 01, 2017, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure this is an advantage - this loses uniqueness of dcmembers pages, and you might as well run the member pages off donationcoder.com then?

Ath:
And it will invalidate the urls embedded in some/many of the software published, as well as any links in forummessages :(

Tuxman:
multi-user cms/blog system where we would only have to maintain one central piece of software and could create lots of individual user accounts
--- End quote ---

WordPress has a built-in "network" functionality (formerly known as "WordPress MU" for "Multi-User"). The only notable disadvantage is that it's still WordPress.

mouser:
I'm not talking about changing the existing member pages.. More for new ones.

Some people prefer to have complete control over the look of their site and design something unique and want to be able to choose what web framework they like best -- but some would prefer to be part of a larger team -- this would be more for people who wanted to be part of a team with a shared look.

Regarding invalidating urls: If we did make a new setup, which is by no means certain, and existing folks wanted to move over to it, we would use redirects to ensure all the old urls were still valid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version