ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any native english speakers?

(1/10) > >>

kalos:
Hello!

Can you tell me please what do you think the answer to the questions below is?

http://i.imgur.com/qMyZ9Ay.png

This one says "a" doctor "would" report. Is this talking about a random doctor or all doctors?

Thanks!

mouser:
That question at the end is very awkwardly phrased, and is not written in a way that has a real answer.

The question, after the story, is: "A doctor would report to the police a patient who was a danger to others: True | False | Cannot say"

This doesn't quite make sense as a question.  It sounds like it should be asking your opinion, as in: "SHOULD a doctor would report to the police a patient who was a danger to others"

As written, the most generous way to answer it would be that the story tells you that "MOST" doctors believe that they should report such things.  So that the answer to the question "A doctor would report.." would be: "most doctors would".
Whether the closest answer in that case would be "cannot say" or "true" is in the eye of the beholder.

Your question:
This one says "a" doctor "would" report. Is this talking about a random doctor or all doctors?
--- End quote ---

The statement is very unclear and not something a native speaker would write.  I would say the closest interpretation would be "a random doctor".

But I suspect that the question was mistranslated, and the best answer to such a question on a test would be "I REFUSE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION BECAUSE IT IS MALFORMED."

mwb1100:
The paragraph says that *some* doctors have an "absolute confidentiality" policy, but *most* doctors have a policy that allows them to report when there's a danger to society.  So I would answer the question with "Cannot say" because the text says that some doctors will not report under any conditions, and therefore you cannot say what an arbitrary doctor would do.

kalos:
Thanks, I felt really stupid not being able to answer that confidently.

As for the below, any idea?
http://i.imgur.com/rBohyhz.png

kalos:
The paragraph says that *some* doctors have an "absolute confidentiality" policy, but *most* doctors have a policy that allows them to report when there's a danger to society.  So I would answer the question with "Cannot say" because the text says that some doctors will not report under any conditions, and therefore you cannot say what an arbitrary doctor would do.
-mwb1100 (August 30, 2017, 05:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but at the same time, an arbitrary doctor "would" report, because there are some doctors who do report.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version