ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For those with a CrashPlan...

<< < (12/15) > >>

wraith808:
I've started using a DCVS (mercurial, but it could be done with git) to make backups of things.

I just add things to a repository, clone/push the repo to another drive, PC, or remote server, and I've got a backup with built-in versioning. :Thmbsup:

That said, my backup needs are relatively simple and small. I probably don't back up nearly as much as I ought to, and this method probably wouldn't work so well for very large amounts of data, especially if that data is stored in a binary format, doubly especially if that binary data changes often.
-Deozaan (July 27, 2019, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

And this is the reason that I don't require versioning- anything that does require versions (writing, coding, etc), I have in repos that are pushed to a few remotes.

f0dder:
Apparently the space is counting all old versions of files, and so the culprits of space use are likely files that have many copies, but I can't figure out how to find such files..  Painful.-mouser (July 26, 2019, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I believe versions are going to get reclaimed automatically (but probably are counted against the limit).

Deleted files, however, do not get deleted automatically - this pretty much got me locked out of my account. The client will not connect properly when you're above your quota, and the web interface is bloody useless... doesn't show totals for folders, so it's near impossible to hunt down what's taking up space. And with the amount of files I had (because versions), it was also painfully slow. Not that the local client is much faster, when I got access again by contacting support and getting some extra gigabytes quota temporarily assigned, clicking around some of the large folders would take several minutes.

(The knowledge base articles on cleaning up versions and trash via commandline didn't work either - you literally can't clean up with the client if you're above your quota. And that you have to shut down the GUI, if running, before being able to run command line actions is... bloody stupid).

Anyway, deleted files end up in a "trash" folder you have manually empty now and then, might be your issue as well, mouser?

Deozaan:
Apparently the space is counting all old versions of files, and so the culprits of space use are likely files that have many copies, but I can't figure out how to find such files..  Painful.-mouser (July 26, 2019, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I believe versions are going to get reclaimed automatically (but probably are counted against the limit).

Deleted files, however, do not get deleted automatically - this pretty much got me locked out of my account. The client will not connect properly when you're above your quota, and the web interface is bloody useless... doesn't show totals for folders, so it's near impossible to hunt down what's taking up space. And with the amount of files I had (because versions), it was also painfully slow. Not that the local client is much faster, when I got access again by contacting support and getting some extra gigabytes quota temporarily assigned, clicking around some of the large folders would take several minutes.

(The knowledge base articles on cleaning up versions and trash via commandline didn't work either - you literally can't clean up with the client if you're above your quota. And that you have to shut down the GUI, if running, before being able to run command line actions is... bloody stupid).

Anyway, deleted files end up in a "trash" folder you have manually empty now and then, might be your issue as well, mouser?

-f0dder (July 28, 2019, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah yes, that reminds me of my experience with SpiderOak--which ultimately led to me abandoning them--which I posted about earlier in this thread:

Be careful with SpiderOak. I had an experience with them many years ago where somehow a folder that wasn't supposed to be included in my backups got included, and it put me just barely over my storage limit.

They essentially locked me out of my account until I got below the limit. But without having access to my files, I couldn't remove anything to get below the limit. Seemingly, the only option available to me was to pay for a plan with more storage. I didn't actually need more storage; without the accidentally added folder I was using something like half the limit.

I contacted support and told them as much. They were kind enough to (permanently!) increase my limit by 1GB to bring my storage usage back under the limit and allow me access to my account/files again. But they also warned me that there was no way to manage your files while being above your limit.

I never understood why it would happily let me go over my limit but not allow me to remove files to get it back under the limit, and while I was otherwise satisfied with SpiderOak in every other regard, that experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

But as I said, that was many years ago. Maybe things have changed in that regard. I haven't been using SpiderOak for a long time.
-Deozaan (December 05, 2017, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

mouser:
--- End quote ---

That's a great tip -- I did not know about that, and it could very well be the (a) source of my problems.  Trying now..

mouser:
Been about 4 hours since I tried to "empty" the trash, SpiderOak just said the operation was "queued" -- no sign that it's actually doing anything, that the files were removed, that the size use when down, or any way to see the "queue".  Though the UI responds so slowly I am hesitant to explore it much..

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to drop SpiderOak and find something better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version