ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For those with a CrashPlan...

<< < (9/15) > >>

mouser:
SpiderOak for me.

wraith808:
SpiderOak for me.
-mouser (March 28, 2018, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

What kind of plan did you get?  And what do they mean by one user, unlimited machines?  Is that only for access to the backups?

What I've been thinking about doing is creating images with Acronis and putting them on my NAS, then using iDrive or SpiderOak to contain my offsite backups of the images.

I also like the iDrive express, where you can get a physical copy of your backups once per year. 

mouser:
I really think drive images are a completely independent separate thing than what one should mainly be using the online spideroak/crashplan backups for.
In my opinion the full drive images can be done once a month (week or whatever) and just stored on removable/external drives.  Don't need online thing for those.

What the online backup services like spideroak, crashplan, etc.  are uniquely good at is making immediate versioned backups constantly of your working documents.  So that if you pc crashes after an hour of work, you have a backup, or 10 different back ups so you can rewind and go back to an older version.

I have the smallest spideroak plan -- because i just backup my document directories to it not my whole computer.

wraith808:
I really think drive images are a completely independent separate thing than what one should mainly be using the online spideroak/crashplan backups for.
In my opinion the full drive images can be done once a month (week or whatever) and just stored on removable/external drives.  Don't need online thing for those.

What the online backup services like spideroak, crashplan, etc.  are uniquely good at is making immediate versioned backups constantly of your working documents.  So that if you pc crashes after an hour of work, you have a backup, or 10 different back ups so you can rewind and go back to an older version.

I have the smallest spideroak plan -- because i just backup my document directories to it not my whole computer.
-mouser (March 28, 2018, 10:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I already do that with OneDrive.  I was just thinking that using that for the 3-2-1, i.e. having an offsite location where the images are stored.  Right now, I don't back up the entire system; I just backup my important information.  My dev work is in Git on Bitbucket, on my NAS, and synced to S3.  My documents are in OneDrive, synced to my NAS, and on S3.  I've just thought about getting into the having an image for immediate restoration, and thought I should do the same thing.

mouser:
I've just thought about getting into the having an image for immediate restoration, and thought I should do the same thing.
--- End quote ---
You should.  Drive images are important should you ever have to reinstall your machine from a complete hard drive crash.  But you don't really need those images to be online anywhere, an external usb hard drive is good place for those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version