ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For those with a CrashPlan...

<< < (8/15) > >>

skwire:
I just stayed with Crashplan on one PC (my server).

As before, each PC in my house still does image backups nightly to the server (using Veeam).  I wrote some quick scripts to dump certain folders on each PC to the appropriate family member's user folder on the server (which Crashplan then backs up to its cloud).  Plus, my previous Crashplan subscription goes until April and then I get the next year at 75% off ($2.50/month).  After that, the one server will cost me $10/month ($120/year) which is $30 less than I was paying for the old family plan.  Not quite as convenient, sure, but it'll do just fine.  And, yes, that $10/month is for unlimited storage space.

mouser:
Yeah for 1 pc, they all seem to work out to about the same.. It's only when you want to back up multiple pcs that crashplan (and some of the others) become completely unreasonable in terms of cost.

Since I have separate backup solution for full drives, I'm much more interested in having something that is very frequently backing up versions of documents (text, data, code) that I am working on, and I'd like to be able to use it for a few pcs at once.  In reality I almost never use anything but my desktop pc, so I might get by with only using online backup for my main pc, but it irks me to not have the option to add other pcs for a reasonable cost.

mouser:
Im a week into SpiderOak.. Despite a very slow initial backup and some slow responsiveness, all seems to be working reasonably well..

Deozaan:
Be careful with SpiderOak. I had an experience with them many years ago where somehow a folder that wasn't supposed to be included in my backups got included, and it put me just barely over my storage limit.

They essentially locked me out of my account until I got below the limit. But without having access to my files, I couldn't remove anything to get below the limit. Seemingly, the only option available to me was to pay for a plan with more storage. I didn't actually need more storage; without the accidentally added folder I was using something like half the limit.

I contacted support and told them as much. They were kind enough to (permanently!) increase my limit by 1GB to bring my storage usage back under the limit and allow me access to my account/files again. But they also warned me that there was no way to manage your files while being above your limit.

I never understood why it would happily let me go over my limit but not allow me to remove files to get it back under the limit, and while I was otherwise satisfied with SpiderOak in every other regard, that experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

But as I said, that was many years ago. Maybe things have changed in that regard. I haven't been using SpiderOak for a long time.

wraith808:
I just stayed with Crashplan on one PC (my server).

As before, each PC in my house still does image backups nightly to the server (using Veeam).  I wrote some quick scripts to dump certain folders on each PC to the appropriate family member's user folder on the server (which Crashplan then backs up to its cloud).  Plus, my previous Crashplan subscription goes until April and then I get the next year at 75% off ($2.50/month).  After that, the one server will cost me $10/month ($120/year) which is $30 less than I was paying for the old family plan.  Not quite as convenient, sure, but it'll do just fine.  And, yes, that $10/month is for unlimited storage space.
-skwire (November 12, 2017, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, we're getting close to expiration, I think.  Are you going to expire this fall?  Or were you somehow grandfathered in?

What is everyone using these days?  The terms and conditions and trust of the different services has me in analysis paralysis mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version