ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Etcher - A simple way to "burn" disc images to SD cards and USB drives

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
Just tried Etcher x64 portable on my Win10Pro x64 laptop:

* Continually tried to access the net to report usage statistics until told not to.
* Tried to access the net anyway - no way to turn off.
* On running: "Couldn't scan the drives: An unknown error occured" - even though every other program could see them fine.  This might be because I didn't give it net access which it shouldn't need.
* When a bootable ISO was selected it told me it didn't appear to be bootable, (UNetbootin read/wrote it OK).
* Couldn't select a output device because there apparently wasn't one "No removable drive detected" - despite every other program seeing it.
Easier? No.
Simpler? No, there are easier ways to do nothing.

Think I'll stick with UNetbootin.  :P

Deozaan:
If you're feeling so inclined, they may appreciate hearing about your experience so they can fix the issues that led to such a poor experience for you.

https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues

f0dder:
The filesize and website-like interface are probably both explained by the fact that it essentially is a website. So in order to be portable it has to bundle an HTML engine, JavaScript engine, etc, for the consistent look across all platforms.-Deozaan (August 19, 2017, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wish people would stop doing this.

It's OK if you use the webby stuff for core functionality anyway, but it's bloated and borderline insane to bundle so much crap just because you're lazy.

ewemoa:
Aren't most electron-based things at least this size?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version