ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Etcher - A simple way to "burn" disc images to SD cards and USB drives

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deozaan:
For me it is weird that a tool like Rufus (which writes .iso, .img, .zip, .vhd, .gz, .bzip2, .xz and .lzma files) only needs around 850KByte to its job,-Shades (August 19, 2017, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for correcting my misonception about what filetypes Rufus is capable of writing. :Thmbsup: Like I said, I'd never really used it before and in my couple minutes of playing around with the interface to check it out real quick it seemed like .iso was the only format it would allow me to browse for.

while Etcher claims more than 18MByte for doing the same, while hiding everything in a dreadfully simple interface.
[...]
Etcher comes with an interface that is dreadfully similar to a lot of websites today.
-Shades (August 19, 2017, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

The filesize and website-like interface are probably both explained by the fact that it essentially is a website. So in order to be portable it has to bundle an HTML engine, JavaScript engine, etc, for the consistent look across all platforms.

highend01:
Etcher-Portable-1.1.2-x86.exe

stores it's setting inside %APPDATA%\etcher?

Very portable, indeed...

35MB vs 1MB (Rufus)

and while Etcher is still "trying" to show it's interface (after doubleclicking the .exe),
I've written half of the netinstall iso (Debian Stretch) to the USB 3 stick (Rufus)

There are things in life that I don't want to waste my time with. Etcher is clearly one of them...

cthorpe:
I recently "burned" a bunch of SD cards for a bunch of Raspberry Pis.  I found that Etcher was considerably slower than the copy of Win32DiskImager (.07) that I've had kicking around for years.  I didn't time it or anything, but I'd say it was at least twice as long with the exact same card and image file.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ (Yeah, it's sourceforge. I know.)

Etcher did seem "safer" and "prettier."  But the speed when trying to prep 15 cards was a deal-breaker.

I'm on Win 10 64bit.

Deozaan:
I've updated the topic to change the word "better" to "simple" since that seems more accurate. :Thmbsup:

I recently "burned" a bunch of SD cards for a bunch of Raspberry Pis.  I found that Etcher was considerably slower than the copy of Win32DiskImager (.07) that I've had kicking around for years.  I didn't time it or anything, but I'd say it was at least twice as long with the exact same card and image file.-cthorpe (August 23, 2017, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder if the extra time it took has something to do with Etcher verifying the image was "burned" correctly as part of the process.

kfitting:
Wraith, I've also been thinking the same thing recently. I think Deozaan's answers have helped advance that idea.

I've often wondered how many times watching "brilliant" artists on YouTube has stifled inspiration. It certainly can inspire, but I agree that we have this idea that there is an underlying current of thought that we need to do something never been done before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version